1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Injector Cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gotrock20, Jan 27, 2014.

1. gotrock20

gotrock20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    went to did my oil change and the dealer recommend me to do fuel injector cleaning 93.00$ not sure what is fuel injector cleaning is so i decline and seek advice.

what is fuel injector cleaning = 93.00 ?
    what is throttle body fuel injection = cost me 230$ for this not sure what the hell this is?
    I don't care about having good mileage.

please advice
    2008, 85k mileages

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fuel injector cleaning is a way for the dealer to clean out your wallet. You can buy a container of this anywhere and poor it in the tank yourself.
    The throttle body cleaning you can also do yourself along with the MAF "mass airflow sensor" following instructions here on PC.

John (Britprius)

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you pay the stealership $93 to put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in your tank that will take them 40 seconds and the bottle costs $10, and then pay them $230 to spray throttle body cleaner down your throttle body that will take them 10 minutes and maybe use $.50 of cleaning fluid....well then, I have some swamp land for sale that you might be interested in :LOL:

Britprius nailed it. You are making the dealership owners boat payment. Run, dont walk.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay...uh, I think I agree with everyone that you can pass on the 93 dollar fuel injection cleaning.

So you already paid $230 for "Throttle Body Fuel Injection Cleaning"? And they didn't make that the WHOLE thing, including fuel injector cleaning?

You need a different service department. First of all, they should be explaining to you everything they are doing to your car or want to do to your vehicle.

You can decide for or against a optional service, but if it's presented, you shouldn't be walking away not knowing what it is, it's kind of the service departments responsibility that you KNOW what they are asking you to pay for. You should insist on having a total understanding of anything they plan to do or recommend to do, to your vehicle.

You can retrospectively ask here, but in the case of the "Throttle Body" if you've already paid them....it's too late.