1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Line Chewed Through

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dr. Sam Hyngus, Jun 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Sam Hyngus

Dr. Sam Hyngus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello-

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I was driving my 2005 Gen 2 a few weeks ago when I noticed a strong fuel smell. Sure enough, I pull over and there are two jets of fuel spraying out of the orange-clipped fuel line (image below). Thinking I could limp it home, I made my way back and got 3/4 of the way there before getting the six warning light combo (CEL, Brakes, ABS, VSC, Slip indicator, and Red triangle). I pull over to a safe location, using battery power to get out of the way of traffic. I have AAA tow it back to my house where it sat while awaiting a replacement line from Toyota.

Fast forward to today, I swapped out the damaged line and ensured a tight connection. I go to start it up and the gas engine begins idling healthily. After about 5 seconds is cuts out abruptly. The warning lights remained on the whole time.

So now I attempt a reset by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes. I reconnect and go to start it up. Nothing from the gas engine and no “Ready” indicator for 2 minutes. I shut it off and restart. On the second try, no warning lights and the gas engine kicks on and idles healthily once again. Five seconds go by and the engine cuts out with all six warning lights again. This has repeated each subsequent time I’ve attempted to start it up.

Initially, my thinking was that it makes sense the ECU would still kick up lights since there’s likely still too much air in the fuel system from the line swap. But wouldn’t that correct itself after a few attempts by the gas engine to run? The hybrid battery is displaying one bar and I don’t want to ruin it further by repeating this process blindly.

Has anyone here experienced a similar issue and successfully fixed it? Any ideas? Much obliged!

Attached Files: