1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Meter Inaccuracy: 7k+ miles of Data

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SageBrush, Jul 12, 2012.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I kept track of 14 consecutive tanks in my CTh, which has the same guts as the Prius G3. Odometer and fuel station presumed correct.
    • Lifetime reading is 4.7% optimistic.
    • Any one tank is 3.5 - 5.5% optimistic
    • A simple unweighted average of 3 consecutive tank meter readings will be within 0.3% of the 4.7% fudge factor 9/10 times; within 0.5% 10/10 times.
    • Increasing data to include 4 consecutive tanks adds little to accuracy over 3 tanks.
    • For government work or mental calcs, I subtract 5% from the meter.
    By optimistic I mean that subtracting the reported percentage error from the meter reading will give the calculated reading. So e.g, if the the meter was 5% optimistic and read 100, calculated would be 95. The meter error (unreported) would be 100/95 = ~ 5.26%. The accompanying graphic legend says 'error', but it is actually 'optimism' as defined above.

Fuel meter inaccuracy.png

Source data

xs650 likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that is about where I am right now. I used to feel 5.6% was closer but lately I have been just under 5%. I've also been stopping at a single click rather than two which used to be the norm.

3. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other day I let mine get to where the last segment started to blink. I was thinking " better get fuel soon you are about to run out!" The "trip to empty' meter read 23 miles. So I pulled in and filled it. Lo' and behold it took 9 gallons to fill it up, not the 11.5 gals +/- I was expecting.

Guess it's good the gauge is pessimistic but that seems like a heck of an error to me. I could have potentially gone almost another 150 miles before it really ran out.

4. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So far I have ranged from 1.3 to 7.8 percent optimistic readings. An overall average of 5 percent. Just sucks to have a great tank for bragging rights taken away by loosing a couple miles per a gallon.

Not a computer gamer, so the Prius and Fuelly is as close as I get to having some of that fun. Sort of fun to try at this time of warmer weather being ahead of the bell curve on Fuelly with other 2012 owners. I am looking forward to the colder months to see how my new driving techniques of the last few months translates to reduced mpg's.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The 'add fuel' alert comes on when about 3 gallons remain. That is not an error, it is just Toyota giving the driver ample time to add fuel or not know when the light came on. Think multiple drivers.

I often have reason to run the tank down to about 1-2 gallons remaining. Since I always know the odometer reading at the last fill-up*, I multiply 11*tank_mpg towards the end of the tank for a maximum safe range. This works out to about a 1/2 gallon safety margin because the tank_mpg is ~ 5% optimistic and the tank is 11.9 gallons.

*Some people set a trip meter at fill-up for the same purpose.

6. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi SageBrush,

Thanks for the info. I'd rather be safe than sorry so it IS a good thing there is something left in the tank when it starts to warn me to get fuel. My mileage is all over the place so I can't count on getting close tot he same mpg per tank as you, at least now I can trust the gauge and drive accordingly.

Regards

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Once the last little pip starts blinking at you, on average how many gallons are still left in the tank?

Any possible damage by pushing it so far?

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    now you know why i post both #s in my sig

9. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

For myself as noted above I found I had all but 3 gals. in the tank once it started to blink. Yours may be different no way to tell unless you fill it up as soon as you can and see how much you added.

Any car with an electric fuel pump isn't helped by running it dry. It can potentially seize the pump or at the very least damage it. The fuel not only cools the pump, it lubricates it.

10. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Several tanks on Trip A here are the results

Trip A : 5,111.5 Miles
    Average Speed: 40 MPH
    Indicated MPG: 54.6
    Calculated MPG: 52.289
    Gal's used: 97.753
    Gas Type: Regular unleaded various brands Costco etc. with 10% Ethanol
    For a while I thought the MPG gauge was over reading about 3 mpg
    but it looks like its about 2.31 mpg over read instead. At
    least according to Trip A.

11. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So you are saying you had over 7 gallons left once the very last pip started to blink?

12. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Uhhh the proofreader had the day off..." I had 3 +/- gallons left when the thing started to blink!" P~

13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotcha. So in other words you could probably drive 120 miles or more once the last pip starts blinking, correct?

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would be a good idea to check your own cars fuel gauge be refilling when your gauge just starts flashing or the miles remaining goes to zero.

Gen III Prii commonly take right about 9.6 gallons when filled to 2 to 4 clicks right after the last bar starts blinking. 11.9-9.6 = 2.3 gallons in reserve. I frequently go to 0 miles remaining and mine takes a hair under 10 gallons then.

If you want to go past 0 miles remaining, reset the trip odometer when miles remaining hits 0 and then you will have a good idea how much of the approximately 2 gallons is remaining.

15. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have found out that when filling up on slow speed you can still
    put in another 2 gallons of gas up to the filler neck with
    standing fuel.

I do not recommend this in common practice when filling up
    due to the emission control system possible be impacted
    by the vapor control system.

But,if you want to know what the real full tank capacity is I am sure
    it is somewhere a little over 13 gallons.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Alfon; i am surprised you would even mention that. it is HIGHLY not recommended one do it one single time

17. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep that's what I drew from that leftover fuel reading. But the " Miles to empty" was telling me only 23miles so I scampered in and got it filled only to find 3 gals. left!

Better to be safe than sorry I guess, no sense pushing it just so I can brag I got 'x"number of miles to a tankful.

Cheers

18. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't pump my own gas in Oregon and there is a law or a violation of law if you
    pump beyond the first pump click off. Also in summer with warm temps filling
    that way may be an issue more so than in winter.

I do not recommend filling your tank this way, but just to point out that
    the true maximum tank capacity is more than 11.9 gallons.

19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another easy way to compute your range is to multiply your "displayed" mpg value by 10. It is a simple calculation to do and will give you confidence that you can make it that far without running out of gas. You could treat that value as your Miles at empty value (and still have a decent reserve).

Thus, if your displayed mileage is 50.0 mpg, your range would be 500 miles. With that 50.0 mpg, you are probably getting 47 - 47.5 mpg (actual). If we assume 47 mpg and divide it into 500 miles = 10.6 gallons. You would still have a 1.3 gallon reserve, thus if you got an incomplete fill up, so long as it wasn't over 1 gallon, you should be fine.

ChipL likes this.
  20. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So far my comfort level has been one bar or at the start of the blink of one bar. For the way I fuel my Prius this works out to 9.5 to 10 gallons. Even with the higher mpg's I am reluctant to try to work that last 1/2 to 1 gallon. :eek:

And after the derecho we had this way recently I am reluctant now to let the tank get too low. We were fine in my household, but others around here weren't so lucky.

Between the earthquake last August and the drecho this month, feeling safer in having 200 miles of gas in the tank.