1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Mileage Doesn't Reset

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jstern, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jstern

jstern New Member

Just got a 05 Prius about a month ago. After first fuel refilling, the fuel mileage reset back to zero (as I believe it is supposed to). Ever since then, it doesn't reset itself after filling up the tank--I have to manually reset. While it sounds like some on this forum would like this to happen, I actually like it restting each time.

Anyone know why mine doesn't auto reset?

Jeff

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

it doesn't reset right away. Sometimes you can drive almost a mile before it resets itself after refueling.

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also if you didn't refuel over certain amount of gallons, it won't reset. I don't have the exact number... I think it's around 3 gal?

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

that's right!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Minimum is reported to be 4 gallons.

2 other conditions have to be met before the auto-reset occurs.
    1)Fuel guage must reach 'full'.
    2)Then the wheel must turn one full revolution.

So, if you fill up, pull away, stop at the light to merge into traffic it's likely the guage won't reset.....until you pull away. But then the guage will have registered 'full', then it's just waiting for you to roll again.

Interestingly, I 'filled' a few tanks ago to what I thought was full (added about 8 gallons), but had pump problems. the guage registered to 9 out of 10 "pips". But I went through the little 'no touch' car wash at the gas station so sat idle for a long time after the guage got to the 9 pip level.

Then I pulled away and the guage did not ever reset....even after driving about 15 miles. Don't know if it was b/c the guage didn't show completely full or b/c of the long idle time without moving.

6. canuckican

canuckican New Member

Yet another Prius fuel-tank/gas-gauge idiosyncrasy! There are plenty, aren't there? Toyota really did some crazy, fairly non-standard things with their fuel system on this car, I think we would all have to admit, wouldn't we? Once you learn to deal with it, it's no big deal, though.

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Doc, I think condition 1) doesn't have to occur. I remember one time I refuel a decent amount (~5 to 6 gal? not too sure) but not full. The gauge did reset afterward. But I could be wrong, it's all from memory.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It can take a while. The station where I normally fill up is in a large parking lot. Most of the time it has reset right when I leave. An interesting coincidence, if I didn't activate the BT in my phone, I get a BT connection failure exactly when it resets.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And you could be right, I've never personally not filled up all the way. I remember my wife once accidently underfilled (early shut off of pump) and I'm pretty sure the guage automatically reset (I wasn't with her so can't be positive--but I don't think she knows how to do the reset).

so perhaps #1 should just be changed to "Fill with minimum of 4 gallons"

10. jstern

jstern New Member

Thanks

I have filled up each time. Drove out of gas station each time. Don't remember about the wheel turn thing. Will have to monitor next time.

jeff

11. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the wheel turn is not the steering wheel, but your vehicle's wheels.

I will add that I have been fortunate enough to never have a really bad fillup. I've had some that were a bit shallow, however I still got all pips and the display reset as I was pulling out of the gas station.

12. luvmyhybrid

luvmyhybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone know if it's possible to view the total MPG for say the life of the vehicle on the MFD?

13. LtRipley36706

LtRipley36706 New Member

I, too, would like to know if its possible to get a lifetime MPG readout.. Is this possible in the 2006 Prius? =)

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

simple answer=no. long answer=only from your spreadsheet. really long answer only in the Classic Prius was there a lifetime total. It rolls at 9999mile/km but the total mpg/liter per hundred kms. stays as it was.