1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel mileage in the toilet now that winter is here

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by K9CRT, Nov 28, 2013.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The heater magic numbers for the GenIII to not make the ICE go on (too much) at stops is 68 degrees or less, and fan on two bars or less. Don't turn either defrosts or the seat heater on.

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. K9CRT

K9CRT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks I am going to give this a try (those settings) as the weather here is actually below 0 now with windchill value -25 below ! Unfortunately on short trips in the city the heater doesn't make much difference in the deep freeze. Most trips are 5-7 miles then shut it off for a couple of hours only to do it again you just can't win. Actually I filled up today and was thrilled to get 41mpg actual while the dash reading was saying 43.5mpg.

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hehe. At those temps, the ICE will run as much as it wants to. The heater magic numbers would probably not work for you until the engine coolant and battery temps rise to max, and the hybrid battery is near full charge, which takes quite a while at 10F or less. It was -9F here last night. All I hope for then is that the car actually starts.

hybridbear and Jeffrey Jessup like this.
  4. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    During September with moderate temperatures in Connecticut, my daily average for 10 miles each way to and from work was 64.5 mpg as indicated by the MFD on my 2013 Prius C. During November, the average dropped to 55.2 mpg with a mean temperature of 42F during the round trip. So far during December the MFD is indicating 50.5 mpg with a mean temperature of 33F and one 12 minute warmup in the driveway to remove ice from the windshield. Yesterday and today the mean temperature was 20F and the mileage was 47.1 mpg. I'm recording my daily trip statistics over the course of a year.

hybridbear likes this.
  5. Scynfewl

Scynfewl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yerp. I average 56mpg. (61 hypermiling and 72record!). And....43 at the moment. Its frustrating because I just put new tires on it, filled up twice now at unfamiliar gas stations. Between those and winter addatives I just cant tell what has caused tbe change. It had been driven so little recently that i likely got "cold gas" after most others and i could have been these last two.

6. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aside from the many reasons usually mentioned, such as longer warmup time and ethanol in the gasoline, there is a fundamental reason why fuel economy decreases during the winter. As the ambient temperature gets colder, the temperature difference between the combusted gas in the cylinder and the air outside of the engine block increases. This causes a higher rate of heat transfer from the combustion gas through the cylinder wall and into the atmosphere thus reducing the temperature of the combustion gas at any point during the expansion stroke as compared to warm ambient conditions. The reduced cylinder gas temperature means there is less thermal energy in the combustion gas and less energy to be converted to useful work per unit of burned gasoline. So the ratio of useful work to fuel burned is smaller and the fuel mileage is lower.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^Sealing the gaps between the hood and fender can help hold in the engine bay heat. I use foam pipe insulation pieces for this, pushed onto a convenient crimped flange along the seam.

IMG_1336.jpg

8. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not sure how the mileage would change with warming up before the trip vs warming up during the trip. However "The ICE will warm just as fast when driving it versus remote start..." doesn't make sense because there is much less air flow when stopped than when moving even with grill blocking. That's why grill blocking works.

hybridbear likes this.
  9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I assumed an ICE will warm up faster when under load versus idling? Maybe I'm wrong....

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ECO mode accomplishes the same thing, no need to mess with the heater.

It drops the coolant threshold from 145°F to 114°F in the regular Prius. In the plug-in model with a fully warmed system, it allows the engine to stay off while still providing heat all the way down to 87°F.

Get an aftermarket gauge. You'd be surprised by discoveries like that. The design is well thought out.

hybridbear and bwilson4web like this.
  11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hybridbear likes this.
  12. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I don't get what you are saying. When I'm using the heat (at 65) the ICE will still run when I'm stopped in EV.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Until coolant reaches minimum warm-up, the engine will indeed run.

Initally, that means 130°F for the first stop, then down to 114°F before the engine starts again.

The tolerances change base on battery temp and heater setting. But that gives you the general idea.

hybridbear likes this.
  14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm excited to watch it again. Have another bluetooth OBD on the way. Last one died.

15. 1945steve

1945steve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tape off the bottom grill. So far this winter I'm still in the upper 40's to 50.?. Same results last winter.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it depends a lot on your type of driving. Our daily usage has been dropping the last few months, it's more extended weekend drives, which I think has really helped with mileage. It's short, cold-start trips that really murder mileage in winter. On our latest tank it's been all extended drives. I've got the lower grill 100% blocked, and we almost without fail are using our block heater for first start up of the day. About 100 km into the tank the dash is showing 4.3 (liters per 100 km). Which means actual is probably about 4.6 l/100km, which translates to around 51 miles per US gallon.

I'm sure we won't sustain that, short trips will creep in, but...

hybridbear likes this.
  17. 1945steve

1945steve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry, I didn't notice you were up north. We live in small town So Indiana and most trips are around town (4 miles from one side to the other) and a few @40 -

18. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm getting a little over 43 this tank.. Though I filled up before storm last week and was stuck in traffic for almost 2 hours... All roads were blocked.. I'm a little heavy on the throttle and have been using the remote start some mornings

LG-LS980 ?

19. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All you regular Prius owners complaining about 5-10mpg loss. :) My PiP has gone from 100+mpg in warm weather to mid-50's now that the deep cold has set in!

Engine started right up due to single digits last night so my 1.5mile drive to work returned 29mpg. :(

hybridbear likes this.
  20. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have not gone back to grill blocking and it's been too cold to work in the garage to install the EBH I bought. My mileage has really tanked since our night temps. have hit the negative numbers and the day time highs are mid 20s. Was keeping it around 50 mpg before the drop and now I'm seeing low 40s.