1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel pressure questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Alan herzberg, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Alan herzberg

Alan herzberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mechanic scanned my 2012 Prius because the check engine light came on no other symptoms we’re obvious the car seems to run well. The initial problem code title that came up was inefficient catalytic converter. My mechanic also did a live scan with the car running and noticed the fuel pressure was incorrect supposed to be around 45 pounds but he read that it was only around 15 pounds. We are in the middle of trying to figure this out, the questions now are how is the fuel pressure regulated? Where is the fuel pressure regulator? could there be a fuel filter issue? It’s gotten pretty cold now and the check engine light has gone off, but he thinks my problem is in the fuel system with the pump or the regulator or something so any input to help me diagnose and fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you oh by the way the temperature yesterday was 8° I’m in the middle of Wisconsin and I did add some isopropyl heat alcohol may have had something to do with the check engine light going off but I don’t know that.

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That does sound odd. You are not experiencing cold winter temperatures yet, so it is a good thing to get this figured out now when it is still fairly warm.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What kind of 'scan' was this? The car does not have any fuel pressure sensor that would read the pressure out to you on a scan tool. Measuring the fuel pressure actually requires a bit of disassembly and some MacGyvering with hose fittings and tees. The mechanic probably remembers doing that, if he did.

[​IMG]

Tombukt2 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All the Toyota in tank fuel pumps that I've dealt with just died or were intermittent they would pump sometimes and would pump pressure fine and other times they just wouldn't come on so then I would change them because the pump was just old drop a new pump in the bracket into the tank good for another $150,000 or so I also use the same Toyota Corolla in tank pump and all my power sports equipment gas tanks it's one of the cheaper pumps I can buy like 40 bucks a pop somewhere in there No it's not the denso brand but no matter I might be Carter AFB.

5. Alan herzberg

Alan herzberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you