1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Pump Replacement Needed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by synth, Apr 21, 2018.

1. synth

synth Junior Member

I could really use some quick feedback. I have a 2010 Prius with 125K. No problems ever. Other day car lost power, PCS (Pre-Collison System) light came on. A few seconds later the Check Hybrid System light came on and car died. When trying to restart, it would try to crank for 7 seconds and then shut off.
    Got it towed to mechanic who said the fuel sensor had gone bad and I had run out of gas even though the gauge show two bars an about 120 miles left on it.
    He is recommending replacing the fuel pump since it had run dry and it was very probable that it would fail within three to six weeks. He is only charging for parts since he would already be in there replacing the sensor.
    This is fairly expensive repair either way and my question is if this is needed. Is the fuel pump more likely to fail now because it ran dry for a minute?
    I very much appreciate any experience and advice.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What codes did the mechanic pull?

Did you get the IPM flash for the inverter performed previously?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try filling it first.

upload_2018-4-21_12-12-28.png

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yours would be the first fuel sensor and fuel pump failure that I have seen on here. I would get the failure codes and post on here for review.

5. h-dogg

h-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I recently had my fuel pump and fuel sender unit or sensor replaced. It was on my wife's 2012 Prius v wagon with 92k miles. We were driving down to Vegas and got stranded in the desert. At first, I thought it was the hybrid coolant/engine coolant b/c it threw a hybrid coolant light. The car would not get into gear except neutral to push on the tow truck. Luckily, a Toyota dealership was 30 minutes away. Expensive fix indeed!! Try to get both replaced at the same time or replace the sensor first (probably easy fix). I had to go to the second dealership near my house b/c the sensor did not detect how much gas was in the tank with gas spilling underneath the car!