1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Requirement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by IraS, May 15, 2009.

1. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rhino,

Why don't you keep cars longer than 100k if money is such a priority? Miles per dollar should be even higher if you can keep it for 10 years +, even if you factor in repairs. Unless the safety advances are that important to you....

2. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are absolutely right. Driving a car until it is not worth fixing is the best way to save money. I plan to keep the car about 100 to 150K.

For me, usually after 6 or 7 years, the safety advances have improved so much, like side curtain air bags, knee bags, antilock brake, traction control have improved so much that I get another car. Also, by then the interior and the paint job is a little beat up.

I do plan to keep the car as long as possible but I am also realistic - I know my weaknesses. I've never kept a car longer than 100K miles. So for the Prius, my realistic goal is to break my previous record of 94K and keep this car more than 100,000 miles.

Knowing my weakness, I don't plan to throw money on anything to keep the car pass, say 125,000 miles. I think my car will get old and my kids won't want to be seen in it. Also, I use it for clients at work so having a reasonably functional car is important. Of course, you can say the kids and the clients should not be so ___ and should see you as you are. But I am a realist and I am sensitive to human nature. I don't want to impose my frugal nature on them. I suspect many people are in my shoe - they just won't admit it. Most people won't keep a car to 100K too.

Anything can happen in the future - that's just a formula that works out for me. But you are absolutely right.

BTY, I am not rich but I do have some spare money. But the Prius is just a car. I love its economy and engineering and it is superior than all the other cars in its class, but I am not in love with it. I am not emotionally attached to it so I just want to keep it running and in good shape. So I don't want to spend too much to keep it in museum quality.