1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Tank Capacity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Tom6850, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This may have been addressed in the past, but I have a question on the fuel tank bladder. My MFD displayed 52.4MPG, when I filled the tank to the first shut off, the actual MPG was 44.5 MPG. I think that some of the difference might be in the fuel tank bladder increasing in size due to higher temperatures in the past 2 weeks.

Does anyone know the ambient temperature for the tank to hold 11.9 gallons? Also has anyone come with a chart showing the size of the bladder for every 10 or 15 degree change in temperature? Maybe TonyPShafer charted this, his spreadsheets are really detailed.

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You've got it right. It got warmer here and I finally found a pump that works with the tank bladder to give me a decent fill. That turned 56mpg+ on the MFD into 42mpg by hand calculations. No worries, it doesn't matter. But as for a correlation of capacity vs. temp, I think the answer is "in theory only." The problem with rubber is that its flexibility and elasticity change with the temperature, with age, with the number of cycles through which it has been used, and maybe even other factors like small variations in material composition from one tank to another. So what is valid for one guys '04 probably isn't much help for our less-used '07s.