1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel tank malfunction + replace hybrid battery, please help

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Vlad, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Vlad

Vlad Junior Member

I have a 2002 Prius with 101K miles. A week ago multiple check engine/warning lights lit up and my wife immediately took it to the nearest Toyota dealership. This was just after an oil change at my trusted mechanic.

First the tech found code P0301 - "Found oil slightly overfilled and overflowing into intake. Manifold causing misfire. Drained out some oil to proper level. Cleaned throttle body and intake system". Hard to believe that my mechanic would screw up an oil change, but OK....

Second, the tech found code P1455. "Vapor reducing fuel tank system malfunction. May need fuel tank $691 installed.

Third, the tech "also found fault codes P3006 and P3000. Battery control malfunction. Advised may be faulty hybrid battery."

That's a lot of maybes. My wife was advised to not take any action until the codes return. Well after not a whole lot of driving this past week, all three warning lights have returned.

Would greatly appreciate any advice on what my best course of action should be.

Thanks, Vlad

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I understand you live in the Boston area, close to the path of Sandy. It is unlikely to be much opportunity over the next three days if predictions are accurate.

Are you mechanically inclined? An older, NHW11 puts demands on the owner as different systems wear out and fail. By having a Prius-aware scanner and the shop manuals, you can look at all codes and other vehicle metrics to figure out what is going on. Otherwise your options are limited to finding a mechanic or independent shop. I don't like to second guess someone as the 'man on site' usually has a better picture of what is going on. So I hang here to help those who 'have hands and eyes on' the problem.

Bob Wilson

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would recommend resetting all codes and see if they come back. My Gen I is notorious for false codes. Although I haven't had any for a while, it has been my practice to clear codes to see if they come right back. So far none have.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you don't have an OBD scanner that can clear the codes, disconnecting the 12V ground will do it. However, you might not be able to see which codes come back. A Prius-aware, OBD scanner is one of the first steps. The second is having the manuals to understand what the codes are saying . . . and a good attitude that it can be figured out. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. Vlad

Vlad Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not mechanically inclined and don't have any scanners. The car was at the dealer last week and the codes were reset. I plan to bring it back to the dealer as soon as the hurricane passes. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same codes again, and I truly need to replace the fuel tank and/or hybrid battery. I'll report the update when I get more info. If it is the battery, do I have any options in cutting costs (like buying a refurbished battery)?

Vlad

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The first step in enlightenment is to have a clue about what you don't know. <GRINS>
    Replacing the tank is a major job because it fits completely under the rear seat and is pretty expensive. There are less invasive things to try first not the least is to check all hoses and replacing the carbon canister. Still not 'cheap,' is a reasonable first step. If you've been in the habit of getting gas all the way into the filler pipe, you are more at risk. This is more than just getting a 'second click.' Do not rule out a gas cap that isn't sealing correctly!

Today, you have more options as Toyota has reduced the price of their replacement packs and those on the East Coast, ReInVolt of North Carolina. I'm still sold on a ReInVolt pack because he offers a one year warranty and you have a pack using cooler running, NHW20 modules. The old style modules are OK if you operate the car to keep them cool.

To keep a traction battery pack cool:
    • park in shade during +80F weather - avoids 'solar heating' of the rear seat and trunk
    • use "B" on 500 ft, steep downgrades - avoids heat pumping charging of the traction battery by routing excess charge to engine braking
    • climb steep grades at 55 mph when possible - avoids drawing down charge that has to be replaced
    • highway cruise at 65 mph when possible - avoids drawing down charge on the small rises and dips that can heat pump the traction battery
    Now these are things I learned to do to run a constant 52 MPG in both city and highway driving, year round. Efficient driving means you aren't wasting fuel heating the traction battery. <GRINS> But I'm 62 years old and grew up when 60 mph was a common highway speed and cars had a lot less . . . ommph . . . than they do today.

Bob Wilson

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would NOT replace the gas tank. When my wife ran our 01 out of gas, (I was a newbie), I took it to the dealer and (b/c a lot of warning lights came on) and they told me I needed a new gas tank. I declined the service. 3yrs and 50+K miles later, my gas tank is working fine. After all, what can go wrong with a fuel tank?????

I know I will get many retorts that its not a tank, its a bladder and that the fuel pump is inside it and that could go bad but, that's not the problem he's reporting. If you're driving the car, the fuel tank is fine.

As for the hybrid battery, did your Triangle of Death (TOD) come back? How about check engine light (CEL)? I ask this b/c I have seen, on more than one occasion, TOD, CEL warnings light up, get reset and never come back.

And amazingly enough, no one has mentioned the 12V battery and how that might affect things. Check the voltage on the 12V battery. It should be above 12V when resting and not go below 11.5 w/ the lights on (car not running).

It I were in your shoes, I would make darn sure the HV battery is dead b4 replacing it. I believe I have seen at least 2 people replace an HV battery that was good.

Also, where are you located? Are you in a hot climate? hilly area? You have an 02 and it wouldn't be suprising that your HV battery is dead but, please make darn sure it is b4 you replace it (this is done by resetting the codes and making sure they consistently come back). And... this is precisely why you're tech says "maybe".

bwilson4web likes this.