1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Tank Replacement for Evaporation Leak / Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by heiche, Feb 20, 2007.

1. heiche

heiche New Member

While starting my car last night it stalled and the Check Engine light went on. I took it to the dealer this morning and they say that I have an evaporation leak at the filler nozzle. The dealer says that I have to replace the entire tank for ~$850 and that the warranty does not cover this (I’m above 3 year 36k miles).

Has anyone heard of this happening? Is the dealer trying to gouge me? Should I try driving it to see if the light comes back? If it does come back is it damaging for the car to drive with this problem?

Thanks for any advice you have.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :( Howdy heiche...

That's not good news; however, I would get a second opinion. In the 2004 Prius, the filler pipe/nozzle could be replaced in a TSB [Technical Service Bulletin addressing the fuel gauge inaccuracy] - just the filler tube/nozzle part together with the odometer/fuel gauge circuit board. This MIGHT indicate that only that part could be replaced instead of the entire fuel tank assembly. Before spending $850, I would find a well-qualified Prius Tech to take a look. Rather than assume they're trying to "rip you off," I would be curious regarding the technical experience and expertise of the Tech who made that diagnosis.

Did the Service Writer indicate WHY the leak had occurred?

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heiche @ Feb 20 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]393313[/snapback]</div>
    That sure sounds like something that affects emissions and thus covered by the federally mandated warranty on all emissions control related components.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the filler pipe comes separately...

generally the rollover valve breaks, not the pipe itself.

coverage under the federal emissions warranty... uh... DH personally thinks it should be but isn't sure whether it actually is or not.

5. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An evaporation leak sure sounds like an emissions issue to me.

6. heiche

heiche New Member

When I asked what caused the leak they now tell me that it's not a leak. They say that there is a fuel pump which malfunctioned and it's inside the tank. The only way to replace it is to replace the entire tank. According to the dealer this is not under warranty.

Thoughts???

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take it to another dealership for a second opinion.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: INTERESTING... How the dealer's 'story' changed to fuel pump. Definitely get another diagnosis and opinion. At best, they were confused internally as to what to tell the customer, at worst, they were trying to enhance their income and profit.

Sounds like a good experience to report to Toyota Customer Satisfaction.

9. dmb40

dmb40 New Member

:blink: