1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Type - Ethanol's effect on MPG

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by dellrio, Aug 16, 2012.

1. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Aside from the issues I had early on with MPG, I still have never been able to get exceptional gas mileage out of the Prius C. I live in Iowa and most fuels here are E10 (10% Ethanol). While I understand that ethanol is less energy dense and it will affect MPG, in most of my other vehicles the hit has been pretty insignificant. I have been averaging 43 MPG since I bought the vehicle - I recently filled up with some Ethanol free gasoline and now I am getting 52MPG on my daily commute both ways where in the past I struggled to get to 45. There could be other factors, my engine/tires are more broken in now (about 3000 miles), temperatures have been in the mid 70's rather than the mid 100's.

In my S-10 I would get 19MPG Gas, 18MPG E10, 17MPG E85 9% Variance
    In my Scion XB I got 31MPG Gas, 29MPG E10 9% Variance
    Current Prius C - 52MPG Gas, 45MPG E10 14% Variance

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Lance Coon likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Besides energy density, which should be a 3% decrease, the engine's state of tune also comes into play. The Gen 3 was less effected than was Gen 2. Perhaps the C is more effected. If you were Bob Wilson, I would ask you to run 10 tanks of E0 and ten tanks of E10 and graph the differences.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Study up on all the MPG saving Prius driving techniques on here... Your technique defines your gas mileage more than any other factor... Over-inflating your tires a little helps too! :)

4. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    All of my tanks have been E10, and I get decent mileage (see Fuelly badge). I'm happy with it. But of course I don't know how much higher it could potentially be with Ethanol-free gas. Ethanol is mandated here in Oregon, and it's not worth it to me to go through of hassle of seeking out Ethanol-free gas.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to see if you can get an extra mile or two more per gallon w/non-ethanol gas here's the list of who sells it in Oregon: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada In my experience during the wettest part of the winter non-ethanol gas works way better than water-absorbing ethanol...

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...as others have said we would expect +1 to 2 MPG for ethanol-free gaso.
    Driving habits such as short trips or speeds over about 70 mph tend to reduce MPG.

7. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I know, we had an old user who posted that link everytime it came up. They're all out of my way, and at least one of them requires you to drive around the back of the building to find it...not to mention it's illegal, and they might not even want to sell it to me. It's not worth it to me.

8. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Some stations are selling Ethanol Free Gasoline which normally sells for about
    50 cents or more per gallon in Oregon. Mostly high test gas that states "contains
    no ethanol". I believe many boaters use this type of gas as 10% ethanol
    has a negative effect on marine motors from what I heard.

9. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I ran across an ad for 'Ethanol Defense' from Bell Performance. It is an additive. I wonder whether anyone has tried it or has encountered any positve/negative information concerning this product. I know most experts recommend staying away from additives since they accomplish little for the most part other than seperate the consumer from some money.

10. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most additives are nothing more but 21st Century "Snake Oil".

11. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tank condensation can give trouble with todays' gas, especially w/ ethanol added in. I use Seafoam in my equipment for landscaping, gardening, and snow removal. I am now experiencing zero problems with varnish buildup in the carburetors and smoother, easy starting engines.

My Prius gets a treatment 1x / month as condensation is not a problem due the fuel bladder pretty much negates this issue. I do this to minimize any moisture caught in the ethanol in the gas.

I am impressed with the use of Seafoam. I can't comment on Ethanol Defense, as I haven't tried it.

DBCassidy

ufourya likes this.
  12. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  13. jgestar

jgestar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I recall from earlier posts that your engine control computer was replaced and your gas mileage improved. I wouldn't have expected a 14% increase from switching from E10 to E0. The real test would be to have someone else refuel your car so that you don't know if you have E10 or E0 in the tank. If the E10 always gives 15% less mileage, then perhaps there is an issue with the oxygen sensors in your engine?

For what it is worth, the 100+ heat took a toll on my fuel efficiency. My mileage is much better the last few days since the heat wave broke.

Tom

14. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am guessing the heat played a significant part - but I am on my second ethanol free tank now and still running in the 50's without even trying.

15. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I filled up with 100 % reg gas in Carson City Nevada last month I noticed
    an increase of at least 3-5 mpg. It also seemed to have more power than
    with 10% Ethanol Gas.

The nearest place to get Ethanol free gas here is across the Columbia River in Chinook, WA. (one way 25 miles)
    But the price there is normally 30-40 cents a gallon more than gas at Costco. (11 miles away)

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. MandyTee

MandyTee 2012 Prius Three ~ Classic Silver Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forgive the newbie for asking, but I searched and this thread came the closest to what I wanted to ask: what grade of gas is best? 87, 89, 0r 93? I wasn't sure if there was one better than the other. I'm at the 1/4 tank mark of my first tank since bringing baby home from the dealer :) and realized I didn't know which gas I should use. I'm not going to track all over IL to get ethanol free.

17. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your Prius only requires 87 octane (regular gasoline). Higher octane actually
    has less energy per gallon. If you can find 87 octane with no ethanol
    added that would be as good as it gets for your Prius.

MandyTee likes this.
  18. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    87 octane, regular.

MandyTee and PriusCamper like this.
  19. AWDstylez

AWDstylez 500hp to 99hp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I wish no ethanol gas was even an option out here.

All my tanks have been on E10 and my MPG is just fine. However, pure gas would be nice.

PriusCamper likes this.
  20. MandyTee

MandyTee 2012 Prius Three ~ Classic Silver Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Well, after that snarky response, I sure don't feel welcome. Of course, I completely understand how internet forum members get upset answering a repetitive question. I mean, you've got so much more important things to do than read and reply to a post on a car forum....oh, wait.

Casual criticism like what you posted certainly poisons a newbie's enthusiasm quite quickly; if you are sooooo busy being an important Prius chat contributing member <<rolling eyes>> why are you bothering to answer a question you consider redundant? What's with the need to insult others via some online chat board? Jerk + anonymity + internet forum = troll.

In answer to your post: yes, my car came with an owner's manual, and yes, I did read it. However, my post was meant to elicit advice/opinions from more experienced Prius owners in regard to the type of gas they use and their experiences. I thought perhaps I might learn something along the lines of "the manual says 87 to use octane, but I use 89 octane and get XX MPG more per tank than I did with 87 octane." I apologize if I did not elucidate enough to make that point clear, and that it was misunderstood. I'll make sure that in any future posts I use small words, or maybe draw pictures, to make sure what I'm asking is clear and easily understood.

Way to welcome a new member, PriusCamper. Thanks!