1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Types for Oz Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SmogSlide, Feb 26, 2010.

1. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to the previous post, I had my 2nd service on 20k interval, which was 3k ago... no marked differences in fuel consumption.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm, maybe. I've used 98 in other cars before and it can make a difference in some and none in others.

I have put 98 in my Prius before and it appears to run smoother but no mpg difference.

3. hotelcc

hotelcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Another Australian Prius here - was wondering if we could use standard E10 fuel here in NSW and the possible detriment vs using 95 or 98 as recommend in the manual? Read the thread already, but was wondering if anyone else has useful tips.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Just noticed I posted in the Gen 3 thread when mine is a Gen 2... oops

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Assuming that the numbers in the manual are for the octane measuring system where you live,
    you need to use the minimum octane listed. The presence or absence of ethanol has no bearing as long as the number is right.
    There is NO advantage to using a higher octane than you need.

There is a slight loss of energy with E10; about 4% so getting non-ethanol fuel would have a mileage advantage......but only if it costs less than 4% more.