1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fuel wasting rants/observations go here

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jan 5, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok... ever see people w/horrifically wasteful driving habits? Post them here.

Today, I was at the local In-N-Out Burger and sometimes I'm in that area but not to eat there. As usual, I saw a long drive thru line. Today (and frequently) there are over a dozen cars in the line. In-N-Out isn't exactly known for speedy service. What's wrong w/those people who are so lazy that they'll sit there idling in their cars w/more than a dozen others in front of them?

When I went in, I spotted a Ford Expedition and a Land Rover in line. Of course, I spotted no hybrids in line so they were sitting w/their engines running uselessly.

When I left, I spotted a Suburban and a Tahoe in line, but 1 Prius. The line was just as long.

I guess gas for those guys is still too cheap for them. They'd better not be complaining about "high" gas prices or "poor" mileage.

I wish there were laws against getting into drive thru lines beyond a certain length (say 6 cars) and idling, if the lobby's open.

2. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've got one. Happened just this afternoon. On a mountain pass, two-lanes in the same direction, a truck was only able to go about 15mph. He had his flashers on. A whole line of cars, myself included, was in the left lane, all set to pass him at about 65. Suddenly, the truck behind the slow truck, presumably less heavily loaded, decided to pull into the left lane, sped up to maybe 15.5mph, and spent the next three minutes trying to pass the first truck. Meanwhile, I and the rest of the line actually had to use our brakes even while going uphill to slow down to the speed of the rolling roadblock ahead of us.

I personally consider any highway trip where I have to use my brakes as a failure. So, Mr. 15.5mph truck driver, you have caused me to fail. Grrrr.

Richard

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All the mention of SUVs, but no cars. The brand new 2013 Camero gets 12mpg in the city EPA test... Probably closer to 8mpg and lower when you factor in the driving style of those silly enough to buy a Camero!

If they want to waste their money, let them do it. Just don't complain. And since gas is so cheap, they have no reason to complain. I don't frequent "fast food" places so I always go inside when I go out to eat. Freshly prepared food takes longer then 30 seconds. One of my favourite places takes about 45 minutes to an hour after ordering to when you get your food. All natural and prepared to order. Absolutely nothing, not even sauces or soups are prepared before hand. Limited dining as simultaneously cooking all these meals requires a huge kitchen and a lot of coordination. Very different than the places that pre-prepare most and then just reheat and add on some sauce.

I still think some of the worst is when a car (usually with the husband inside) sits outside of a store with the engine idling to listen to music while the shopper shops. An hour or two just sitting there idling for the radio. Not even trying to use ACC mode.

Oh well, I'm not the king and allowed to make people follow my opinion. One day maybe, but not today... :(

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Have you been to In-N-Out? See
    Food Quality - In-N-Out Burger
    . They claim they have no freezers. They have a hand-operated machine w/a large lever used to cut fresh potatoes into fries.

As for cars guzzling, well, since you bring up Camaro.... the thing is, guzzler cars and guzzler sports cars don't make up a large % of vehicle sales. Take a look at the full-sized suburban assault vehicle sales that GM racks up each month, in comparison.

Oh yeah and at GM Sells 1 Million 30 MPG-Plus Vehicles in 2012 , GM brags about the Camaro having up to 30 mpg highway. :rolleyes: (Yeah, in very few transmission and engine combinations.) Discuss the stupid story/press release at GM claims it's first to sell million 30+ mpg (highway) vehicles | PriusChat.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No. If it has a drive-through, I drive past it.

Got to love GM :)

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even 6 cars is much too long:

[​IMG]

Alberta had no such requirement, and I could smell the difference.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coffeehouse drive thru windows drive me crazy... Who in their right mind would get in a long line of latte drinkers and leave their engine running for 20 minutes while waiting for what's mostly high fructose corn syrup mixed with some ground up coffee beans that hot water is poured through? What bothers me even more is sitting inside the coffeehouse when it fills up with car exhaust due to a poorly designed drive thru window. Then adding insult to injury is everyone in coffee house not noticing anything is wrong as I hold my breath and run for the door to get outside and get some air.

Or how about the oh so eco-conscious bio-diesel owners who sit out in front of the health food store in cold weather with their engine and heater running to stay warm while they eat their healthy organic food. Meanwhile unbeknownst to them the entire neighborhood starts smelling as toxic as a truck stop that's next to a fast food joint that hasn't changed their deep fry grease in months. With smells/toxic particulate like that I don't even want to go to the health food store.

To top it all off in the past year of owning a Prius I think only twice I caught a whiff of my Prius engine's exhaust when it's running cold and most noticeable... What a contrast to how others live....

8. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know of a guy who drives like 20 miles just to go to a Starbucks and makes video's of his trip. Even in a PIP that's a little extreme. :coffee: :whistle:. At least he keeps his heater on low and his windows cracked so the defog stays off:rolleyes: .

How about driving 80 miles one way to get an oil change? Ok it was a 15k service at a Lexus dealer but still...

I see dozens (100's?) of vehicles idling in school zones some up to an hour waiting for there kids even though we have buses that are also sitting there idling. But then again I see dozens of vehicles waiting up to an hour at bus stops to take their kids 2 blocks home for safety. and then 5 minutes later all those kids are running around outside with no supervision.

Lexus LF-A is 11 and 14 mpg or close to it.
    The ICE in the Chevy Volt?
    People who by "green" products that have to be shipped half way around the world.
    Buying anything at Lowes all made in China. One trip to get what you need. Second trip to get one that works and has all the parts. (30 miles total)

The gas wasted in the traffic jam behind a cleared accident because a Leaf at the head of the line ran out of charge. I70 east part way up the hill near Wheeling WV.

Dormont/Pittsburgh PA has idle free zones too.

You didn't say the rant had to be rational.

9. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yep that one is gets me too. For that matter people with a PiP with a meager 80MPG overall when they could do better.

Another is people with PiPs or Volt's that avoid using their ICE, to keep their status up, so they take their other vehicles on trips that might need gas. Now if they leave the PlugIn at home and take a Prius that is okay ;-)

Even more is the BEV purists that moan about Phevs having an ICE, then take their SUV on trips over 80 miles.. I've saved 29 gallons compared to owning a Leaf as I would have had to take the wife's CUV on longer trips. Reducing usage needs to look at the bigger picture.