1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fueleconomy.gov has the Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by bwilson4web, Jan 12, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you @Prius Team and EPA.GOV:

Source: Compare Side-by-Side

metric Ioniq EV Prius Prime Volt Ioniq Blue
    1 MPGe 136 133 106 --
    2 MPG -- 54 42 58
    3 gallons 11.4 8.9 11.9
    4 range 124 mi (0 mi gas-only) 640 mi (615 mi gas-only) 420 mi (367 mi gas-only) (690 mi gas-only)
    5 interior 119 ft{3} 111 ft{3} 109 ft{3} 123 ft{3}

• gas range ~= combined_MPG * tank_gallons # excluded 25 mile EV
    There is a way to calculate the single-tank and single-charge effective MPG. However, this single tank+charge is misleading as the +2 hrs time to charge the battery really hits the block-to-block time. As someone who purchased a Prius Prime Plus Dec 28, such fan-boy calculations would be misleading. So for the Prius Prime, I took the 25 mile, EV range away from the 640 mile EPA range that included the EV. Trying to make the Ioniq EV look less-bad, I left the EV range for that car.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Rmay635703, john1701a, EV-ish and 2 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    finally.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Updated to include the Chevy Volt for their fan-boys. At least now I understand why I thought the Volt seemed small when I sat in one last week.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Jan 12, 2017
    thatoneraccoon likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't understand the ionique bev, it seems horse and buggy. but maybe for other countries? blue looks interesting, if it ever arrives.
    i noticed that hyundai dropped their golf sponsorship in hawaii, times must be tough. i guess they didn't get the rising tide message.

5. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    I would find the Hyundai numbers impressive, if I believed them.
    For now I'll assume they gamed the EPA until a lot of evidence says otherwise.

Like independent verification of their Cd values

#5 EV-ish, Jan 12, 2017
    MikeDee, giora and dalcon95 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same, gotta see it on the ground.

dalcon95 likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think what Hyundai decided to do:
    1. Performance Ioniq - not really optimized for fuel efficiency but all round driving.
    2. Efficient Ioniq (Blue) - optimized for fuel efficiency but probably has some acceleration issues.
    3. <TDB> Ioniq (Plug-In) - we don't know although there are many non-USA fan-boys.
    4. Electric Ioniq (EV) - showing the challenge of fitting batteries in a gas-frame.
    Regardless, I don't dismiss the Ioniq as much as I'm getting really tired of 'selective' claims put out a year before the vehicles go on sale. I'm reminded of the old software Beta wars. They are trying to suppress sales by the sweet promises . . . that are not backed up by a common set of metrics . . . what the EPA does for us.

It is my fondest wish that the Ioniq will lead Toyota to discovering that 'catfish mouth' is a loser. There are too many, energy robbing joints on the front of the Toyotas because someone wants their cars to look like an open mouth (and I'm being nice!) I could have posted something like:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    couldn't agree more. lose the front and the bubble glass and drop the price another grande.
    and make the car reasonable to repair so insurance rates don't skyrocket.

9. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey. At least Toyota didn't go in the direction of those new Jeep Cherokee s. . I for one enjoy the uniqueness of the gen 4 and prime. I can identify them in the morning and night. Now that's a statement!

10. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Does that mean you also find the Prime small ? There is a lot of subjectivity, preferences and packaging that goes into these impressions so I'm asking out of honest curiosity.

Back in the day, the first thing that really attracted me to Japanese cars was their uncanny ability to to make interior space feel a lot bigger than it had a right to be from just looking at the car from the outside. I am a huge fan of sub-compacts that feel roomy in the inside.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The odd thing is that I found the Ioniq to be small in the rear seating area (like.. early 2000s compact car small). The front was good.

And then I looked at the Ioniq's dimension specification and was surprised to find out that they actually depict a larger car than the Prius! (more rear legroom and as you can see above, a larger total interior volume).

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found the front seats like the ones in our BMW i3-REx. I did not sit in them but the two seats in the rear with the console between looked comfortable.

The only fly was the ~3-4" raised rear platform. It makes 'hotel Prius' a little strange. Just I haven't booked a room back there, yet.

Bob Wilson

13. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Still not appearing in other sections on fueleconomy.gov like: Top Ten, Top Picks etc.

14. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While I believe the Ioniq will arrive, I think back to waiting year to year (now almost 3 years) for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV to arrive in the US and still no such beast exists. I finally threw in the towel and went with the Prius Prime losing a bunch of utility that I may eventually need. The Niro looks interesting even if going with one without the plugin capabilities to replace utility, but then I would be back to a two car world that I am trying to get out of.

The one thing the Ioniq seems to have on the Prime is capacity. Assuming the plugin will have near the same interior capacity as the BEV version, that is a nice increase in usable space.

#14 Captmiddy, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We are missing the final, important piece on the Ioniq electric; price. Undercut the Bolt and Model 3 by a few thousand or so, and people will take a closer look at their actual range needs.

Hyundai got slapped hard with the Elantra, and it appears they are releasing EPA ratings for individual trims now.

Cd can't be eyeballed, the Prius c was slippery than the Insight2, and the c has a short typical hatchback profile, not a Kammback.

You think Toyota is trying to say "run away or I'll kill you."

Been ages since I was in a Prius, but I think the Sonic has more head room than the gen2.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would think they'll have to undercut the leaf.

iplug and giora like this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For now. It depends how Nissan prices LEAF 2.0.

iplug likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Ioniq Electric has nearly 20 miles of range on the current Leaf. Doesn't look like much on paper, but it is big when you start looking at it in terms of a commute and range loss in winter.

The Leaf MSRP is around $34k. With the plan of shared parts with a better selling hybrid:whistle:, Hyundai should be able to under cut the Leaf. Don't know if they can keep up with Nissan's heavy incentives though.
    I expect the next Leaf to be priced around the Bolt and Model 3. I don't see them cutting the price if they are doubling the range.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree with tideland though. isn't leaf 2 more important? what are the range and price?

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We know less than we do about the Ioniq or even the Model 3. Nissan has been pretty tight lipped. The sharp looking concept BEV that was at the shows last year may have nothing to do with the next Leaf.

They've stated it would have over 200 mile range. That's it.

A WAG on my part is that they'll offer a Al-air battery from Phinergy.

bisco likes this.