1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fueleconomy.gov has the Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by bwilson4web, Jan 12, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a fixed overhead of getting off and back on the route. I agree one can fill the tank at a fast rate but a long-term Prius driver, I set the hose to the minimum setting to minimize foaming and get a full tank. My protocol is: (1) lowest fill rate until it clicks off while doing 'stuff' around the car; upon 'click', with a brief pause, ~10 seconds, to de-foam, and slow fill to second 'click', and; pause and manually finish to last 'click.' Yes, I am aware of the risk of carbon canister contamination but I prefer a full fill-up.

My rationale is refueling is a burden, an overhead on the trip. So adding a minute or two to do it right, to leave with a full tank, is worth the time spent as I'll make it up later on the highway. In my case, a careful fill-up adds up to 1 extra gallon which is typically another +52 miles on the highway. But charging the traction battery, especially at a fast charger, suffers a similar problem.

Fast DC charging often claims '80% in 30 minutes' which is a fair rule of thumb. The reason is the battery controller has to taper the charge rate to avoid damaging the batteries. So I fill my gas tank to 100% of capacity by 'taper' fill, two 'clicks', and use that capacity to go further down the road. In contrast, a fast charge on a trip brings the capacity to 80% of the already limited battery.

Bob Wilson

#41 bwilson4web, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used the BMW i3-REx which has 97 mile EV range, the highest EV range of today's plug-ins. The Volt would look worse in the table . . . a lot worse than the BMW i3-REx.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i estimate 5 minutes to fill to the second click, including getting in and out. i'll put a top watch on her next time. 45 years of driving, and i'm just finding out the importance of fuel up time. i probably don't watch enough (read any) nascar.

4. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    For the last 2 years I am filling my PiP tank only half full (about 20 liters).
    I am about 65% lifetime EV so why to carry extra dead weight?.
    Even so, I am visiting the gas station once every about 6 weeks.:)
    Knowing I am about to have a long trip I fill full.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#44 giora, Jan 14, 2017
  5. RJ Primw

RJ Primw Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    New Jersey does not permit self serve gas...don't ask. And, the gas pump jockeys are forbidden by law to top off the tank. (Yes, I live in a nanny state). In the winter, I never would get a full tank of gas, which was incredibly annoying. I have noticed, though, that the Prime seems to have taken care of this problem. The few times I have gotten gas, the tank has been filled almost to capacity. So, you might find that with the prime, you won't have to do the little multi-click waltz.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    5 gallons of gas = 40 lbs? i should go on a diet.:oops:

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gas is 6.183 pounds a gallon.
    Water is around 8.6.

inferno and bisco like this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the PiP's 29kWh/100 mi and the Prime's 25kWh/100 mi. Basically, after approximately 125 miles/200 km of EV driving, you get a free charge on the Prime (or in other words, you used one fewer full charge of a Prime after 125 miles)

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like i won't have to give up as many twinkies.

10. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    You do. Consider these variables:
    1. the results are very dependent on the presumed total mileage. You may drive e.g. 640 miles in a day but I sure do not.
    2. You may start a day or a trip with a full charge
    3. Breaks during the trip are advisable and can be combined with charging. Tesla owners routinely combine charging with lunch.
    So each person can figure out their own net additional charging times on long trips. For me on SC routes it looks like about 30 minutes extra a day at most, and more likely under 15.

I find it pretty amazing that a Tesla can even come close to an ICE in long distance driving times. And of course the difference is going to narrow in the near future with bigger batteries and faster chargers.

#50 EV-ish, Jan 14, 2017
    Trollbait likes this.
  11. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    This matches my expectation that the LEAF will turn into a compliance vehicle for Nissan. Of course then each car is expensive to produce and they are not by definition competing with Tesla.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    then your scenario is invalid.

13. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    As is iPlug's

14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Or it just gives Nissan more marketing flexibility.

Surely Nissan would like to make money on the Leaf or any vehicle in their fleet. Unlike the Gen 1 Plug-in Prius, the Gen 1 Leaf was both a 50-State and worldwide vehicle.

Nissan and Tesla aren’t the only players in the game, and both have made significant investments and have access to the significant continued improvements in battery system costs. Who is to say that it will be more expensive to produce a ~200 mile EV range Leaf or Model 3?

They will join the Bolt and others will not be far behind. Nissan does not have the cachet of Tesla and therefore will not benefit so greatly from halo sales. But Nissan can sell Leaf 2.0 at or even below manufacturing costs if they feel they need to meet any aggressive sales goals.

Yes, if Nissan needs credits to meet fleet average fuel economy metrics in different markets, this could be a motivating factor.

But the real question is about what the customer sees as competitor – a ~200mile EV range Leaf, Bolt, or Tesla, etc. There will be plenty of cross shopping between these guys. If one costs the customer thousands less, why would they not consider it a competitor?

True, the CHAdeMO network is not as robust as the Supercharging network, but it shows Nissan put some effort into it, and DC fast charging will continue to grow across the U.S. regardless of direct manufacturer support at this point.

Trollbait likes this.
  15. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    There is one auto company with a battery Gigafactory. It is a formidable advantage in battery production costs. Nissan used to have a smaller scale battery factory but IIRC it has been sold.

16. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm a fan of Tesla. But like Apple, they aren't going to "win" at this game on costs, but on their halo.

China produces more batteries and will continue to do so compared to the Gigafactory. The Gigafactory gets lots of press, but other large manufacturers like LG and Samsung have also been realizing aggressive production cost gains and they will continue to scale up to supply auto manufacturers, utilities, and new markets.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one company gets all the business. i don't understand the thought process. leaf, bolt, tesla, ionique, whatever. if ev's ever catch on, they will all do well. the more options for the consumer, the better, especially in battery size.

Trollbait likes this.
  18. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Big halo for sure, but based on real advantages:

1. Tremendous cost advantages from the GF and in-house expertise and production of all major components of the car. Toyota did the same 15 years ago with the Prius when they decided to move in house production for needed electronics.
    2. The SuperCharger network. No other EV is a long distance car.
    3. Huge advantage in assisted driving. This is actually my #1 reason why I expect to buy a Tesla in the next couple of years.
    4. Anticipated huge advantage in scale from the GF and battery business
    5. Huge advantage in engineering across multiple disciplines, in part borrowed expertise from SpaceX
    6. Start-up mentalitiy of their entire work-force
    7. Elon Musk and JB Straubel
    Any one advantage is considerable; all together and it looks like a stacked deck. The only significant advantage the other players have is massive capital. That is a big one, but so long as the market believes in Tesla it is not going to matter.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How about knowing how to actually build stuff? Tesla has been late on everything and slow to ramp up. They always over promise and under deliver when it comes to both initial production and production ramp.

Toyota built 100 times as many vehicles in 2016 as did Tesla. That is an absolutely enormous obstacle to overcome.

20. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, by filling half tank my saving is about 10 liters of gas or about 8 kg. But it is effortless and can be added to the diet saving:love:

Here is my EV ratio for the last 3 years less 2 months:

EV Ratio 31_14-1_17.jpg

As you can see, with this kind of ratio it is effortless...

#60 giora, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    bisco likes this.