1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fueleconomy.gov has the Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by bwilson4web, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For full disclosure, Supercharger access and fees for the Model 3 has not be released.

The majority of people that bought a Model S or X would not have bought a Prius instead. The competitors in the Tesla's segments have fuel economy in the twenties to low thirties for hybrids and diesels. The Teslas are cheaper to take on a long trip than them.

Charge time is a factor. I understand wanting to just get a long drive done. Yet Tesla owners are finding that the forced breaks make their trips less stressful. For my wife and her health issues, they might reduce the pain she is in the next day.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We take many, many breaks on our long trips (every 1-2 hours). However, none of them are compatible with Tesla charging. They tend to be 10 minute breaks at rest stops or gas stations, or breaks for meals, none of which are ever very close to places we eat. On our last trip, the closest we ate to a Supercharger was just over a mile. Most were 20-120 miles away. With 300 mile range Ev's, long trips would need Superchargers at all these places which is likely impractical. A 600 mile Ev combined with CHAdeMO chargers at hotels, restaurants and rest stops would make long trips in Ev's practical for us.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Funny thing, I'd been running around Thursday and burning off the gas in the BMW i3-REx tank. So this morning, I only had 20 miles range and no gas. So I headed downtown to use the fast DC charger and pulled up just as a Tesla owner finished up.

Thirty minutes later, I had +50 miles and headed into work. There are several L2 chargers around and I could have added ~10 miles, enough but nothing to shout about. I do have a spare gallon in the frunk and plan to dilute and burn it soon too.

I can confirm the 700 mile trip to and from Oklahoma worked out fine with a break every hour and 15 minutes but I was also traveling with my wife and her dogs. Our block-to-block speed was 46-48 mph and we were just using the gas engine.

In contrast, driving the new Prius Prime Plus from Rhode Island, I pretty much let the car 'follow trucks' and I kept it in the lanes. I probably was running about 2-3 hours between biology breaks. I left with a full tank and charge and had only one fuel stop. The block-to-block speed was about 60 mph.

Bob Wilson