1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FuelEconomy.gov official ratings posted - 58 City/53 Hwy Prius Eco - 54 City / 50 Hwy for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Paradox, Dec 18, 2015.

1. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    bwilson4web likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gasoline, or whatever is going to the ICE, is only part of the picture when looking at a PHEV.

"The well-to-wheel distance where the Prius and Volt have produced equal amounts of CO2 is a whopping 115 miles—beyond the length of virtually any daily trip. (Yes, I’m using California’s almost extreme-case clean electrical generation, but it’s far and away the largest plug-in market.) Up to 50 miles, the Volt produces only 56 percent of the super-efficient Prius’ CO2 (the Volt having been in EV mode). And it hangs on to that advantage for another 65 miles until the Toyota overtakes it. Even with all the dents the Volt has endured here, the best way to use that gallon is to ultimately not burn it at all."

Looking for the point where they have both used the same amount of gas will be a farther distance.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice link to calculate the effect of going from a smaller to a larger wheel: The Effects of Rotational Inertia on Automotive Acceleration

FYI, I'm seeing the direct effects in the "Test Car Database" from the EPA. Yes, the 17" wheels give worse MPG and the EPA has (and shares) the data to prove it:
    • 17" tires - look good, burns gas
    • 15" tires - look good, saves gas
    The trick is to patent a wheel cover that is 'over-sized' giving the illusion of 17" wheels to a 15" hub. Piece of cake to separate money from others.

Bob WIlson

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    renewables are definitely the future, but we need more help in the other 49 states. also, giving hov to people who don't plug in doesn't count, other than helping sales and moving technology forward.

5. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are likely some that do want the old NiMH battery tech; some folks are still nervous about Li-Ion, given some past high profile problems with that type. Recalling the nightmare that Boeing endured with Li-Ion packs on the 787 'Dreamliner' airliner, laptop PCs and early Chevy Volts. I know this is old news now and likely no longer a real concern but it's something I'd bet a few prospective buyers have in mind when they shop hybrid.

6. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I personally would feel better about the new battery if I knew what the scan code for the OBD that could retrieve the battery temperature. It's not that same as the gen 3.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

A fan of miniVCI, I suspect Version 10.x has the codes. For grins, see if you can find the ones for the PiP since it already has a LiON controller.

Bob Wilson

8. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the pleasure of driving a Two Eco yesterday as a loaner while my car was in for a key replacement. It's a sweet driving car with surprisingly spirited handling and also a surprisingly supple ride I didn't expect, given its higher pressure tires. I hated to give it up at the end of the day. Only thing I didn't like was the lack of a CD player. I suppose I could live without a rear wiper; there are sprays you can put on the back window that make water roll off more easily. And I was told I CAN buy a spare tire for it, removing my main objection. Clever move by the service department with a nod to a future sale. I'm still liking the cavernous 'v' more, however and I may just decide I need all-wheel drive after a recent bad winter storm, ala RAV4 Hybrid. But I'm thinking now...

bisco likes this.
  9. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No CD Player in a Two Eco? That's news to me. I have never tried to play a CD in mine but there is a slot to load one in. I'm wondering what it is for now.

10. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I can say is that I couldn't find a slot and the dash display icon for a CD player was grayed out. It didn't matter since I only had the car for a day. But it is strange I couldn't find a slot. But I didn't ask, either.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've heard it won't be long before the CD player disappears from cars due to phones, mp3 players and usb sticks.

12. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, according to Toyota.com, a CD is part of the std. audio on the Two Eco so I don't know why I couldn't find it. I've so many old CDs it would be a must for me. The only real qualm I'd now have about a Two Eco (aside from the lack of a rear wiper) is whether or not its higher pressure low rolling resistance tires would have squirrelly handling in the wet and snow. Need to see a full test report to get the scoop on that.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's already happening. The Chevy Spark does not have a CD player. Toyota also has stopped offering CD changers for a couple of years now - just single slot.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even i'm using a usb. and they don't come any older and stodgier.:p

15. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Our 2010's single slot is a changer. IIRC, there was also a single slot without a changer.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. 6-disc on all JBL audios (Premium, Premium w/ Solar Panel and Touring) or 4-disc changer on the Technology (because of the navigation disc). They've stopped doing multi-slots 15 years ago. (My friend had a trunk-mounted CD changer on his 95 Accord which was multi-slot. They mounted it behind the rear pass through so at least you could access it from the interior. Most trunk-mounted CD changers were on the side so you had to access it through the trunk opening. Lexus had a glovebox-mounted CD changer. I think that was single slot in the later versions.)

Anyway, I was referring to manufacturers just offering a single disc CD player. (Perhaps that's a better term than single slot)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had one in the trunk of my miata. it wasn't horrible. at least you didn't have to pull over to change them but once every 3 hours or so.

18. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have played a CD in mine when I first got my Model 2 ECO. Now I use the slot to mount my cell phone mount. It's not ideal because the phone blocks part of my view of the backup camera screen. Though it works very well when I am navigating using the Map app on my cell phone.

I used to use a mount that fastened to the vanes in the air outlet in the center of the dash. Unfortunately the mount I had was not well suited to the Gen 4's outlet grille.

If they omit the CD slot how will people mount their cell phones???????

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Vent? or suction cup? or beanbag?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in