1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fueling Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bnlfanmatt, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"jayman\";p=\"82792\")</div>
    Ray:

I always thought it had to do with the secret hidden fear built into the collective male subconscious: the fear that the guy next to you has a far larger reproductive organ than you do.

Jay[/b][/quote]

I have no frame of reference for this statement. Thank God and dad for that.

Seriously though, I don't really think that human sexuallity has much to do with it except as a minor player. I think the American male has more insecurities related to his ability to compete in the marketplace and provide for his family. He saw his father as his example of that and needs to feel deep down that he can provide the same. The fact that his wife works and his mother didn't is underlying evidence of his failure. Providing a superior lifestyle for his family helps to justify the need for a second income. Going back to his childhood for the standard of a good lifestyle leads him to the need for a powerful car and a huge home with lots of appliances. A quality lifestyle can and should be judged by a very different standard than that.

Or maybe I'm just talking out the side of my neck.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"82816)</div>
    Ray:

No you're not talking out the side of your neck.

A lot of what you described can be attributed to easy credit that allows the average family to get into debt up to their eyebrows. Glad I never fell for it.

If you look at the ads for most of these SUV's, pickups, etc, the connection to hairy-chested male power is evident. The Ad Agencies learned a long time ago that Sex Sells and will exploit it to ridiculous ends.

How about that Dodge Truck hemi ad that appears to encourage smokey burnouts on public streets? It's how you "prove" that you're a "man."

I like that ad for Saturn where they tease hybrids "that can be passed by a moped." Really builds insecurity there, right? Though the Prius should at least keep neck-to-neck with the Saturn.

Jay

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That Saturn ION's fuel economy is that of an Accord/Camry. Yes, it has a 2.2 litre but on a car that light (or maybe not for a compact), it should be more efficient than that.