1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fueling Problem and Fuel Gauge Stuck

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by j747, Aug 9, 2015.

1. j747

j747 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006 Prius, 149,000 miles. The gas gauge has just become stuck on 2 bars. I discovered this after attempting to fill the gas tank. I was unable to pump the gas into the tank. The pump kept clicking off immediately. I was able to slowly put about 3.5 gals of gas in the tank, but very slowly. I also tried to add gas from a gas can, and the same problem occurred: the gas would go in very slowly. I have never had the fueling problem where the pump repeatedly clicks off. I tried several gas stations that had pumps that worked for me in the past, and didn't have any luck. The fuel gauge failure and the gas pumping problem have appeared simultaneously. Any ideas on how to proceed?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you only add 3 gallons at a time, the fuel gauge may not register the presence of additional fuel. You could try disconnecting the 12V battery for a few minutes, which would force the fuel gauge to reset.

As to why the gas station pump clicks off, look at the rubber O-ring which surrounds the opening for the nozzle. If that has been damaged, that might be part of the problem.