1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fueling: touching metal surface, closing windows

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by solana35, Jul 11, 2017.

1. solana35

solana35 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been the proud owner of a 2015 Prius Two for a couple of weeks. I'm thrilled! Here is the first of a bunch of questions I have:

In the Owner's Manual, it says to touch an unpainted metal surface before fueling. Also it says to close the doors and windows beforehand. It's in the OM, so I'm guessing it's important, but I'm wondering how often people do it in practice.

The second piece of advice could be valuable because, living in New York state, I'm a walking ball of static electricity in the winter even without having a large battery in my car. But I just want to confirm that it really is a good idea to get in the habit of "grounding" myself.

Thank you!

bisco likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I always touch the outside of the car, not an unpainted surface, but it's a longtime habit of mine, before I open the gas cap to fuel the car.

I almost always have at least one window down when fueling. It has never caused a problem.

solana35 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    huh, i never read that. probably a good idea, but i've never done it in 45 years of driving.
    where would be an unpainted metal surface?

solana35 likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This has nothing to do with the large battery. It is generic advice for all gasoline-powered vehicles. The static is most commonly created from friction between clothing fabric and the seat when getting out of the vehicle, but can come from other sources as well.

There are a number of gas station surveillance videos available showing gasoline fumes igniting from apparent static sparks. All I have seen struck other cars, not Prius, but the Prius shouldn't be any different.

#4 fuzzy1, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    solana35 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do the new pump nozzles help at all?