1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuelly...."city" vs. "highway"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by qdllc, Aug 2, 2014.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I fuel up and log my information into Fuelly, I always say my driving is 10% city, 90% highway.

The problem is that Fuelly really should have a 3rd category..."Interstate."

By definition, a "highway" is a thoroughfare with few to no stops in the flow of traffic.

City driving reflects a "stop and go" flow of traffic.

In my case, I live in the sticks. Going to and from town involves speeds from 35 to 60 mph along roads with hardly any stops. Hence, I consider it "highway" driving.

However, an interstate is high-speed driving, which is typically where the Prius gets worse mileage due to more use of the ICE.

Other than placing notes in my Fuelly log for tanks where there was significant interstate travel, I'm wondering if it seems misleading to get the MPG I'm getting with mostly "highway" driving.

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you're really concerned about it being misleading, you could make note of it in your vehicle description and/or the notes for each fuel up. People only see your city vs highway when looking at your car's page, so they'll be able to see the explanation.

3. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point. It is misleading, but then so is the mileage recorded with hyper-milers. Adding it to the notes is a good way to let interested folks know the facts.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought of doing that, but I really DON'T want to add notes on EVERY normal fuel up. I have been adding notes when there is significant interstate driving (more than up to the next exit or two).

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think the term you are looking for is 'benchmark' which is different from a cumulative mileage record:
    • benchmark - where you hold as many variables constant as possible and change one, say speed or fuel or A/C e.t.c. A series of benchmarks provides facts and data about what the car does so modifications or changes can be quantified. So I have mph vs MPG, mph vs MPG up an 8% grade, engine power vs fuel brand, ethanol level vs MPG and engine codes.
    • cumulative mileage record - provides insight to climate effects and actual, year-to-year, miles on the road. The time scales are so long, measured in years, whereas a benchmark is performed within a few minutes to hours.
    Bob Wilson

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OTOH, the country roads tend to be less well maintained and higher rolling resistance.

Things somewhat balance out.

7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I just did my first tank with mostly interstate driving (new job mandates taking the interstate a lot more). I've noted accordingly on the log, but 55 mpg on the first tank.

8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice job!!!(y)