1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Full factory HID retrofit issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scotty Danger, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Scotty Danger

Scotty Danger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Prius obviously came without the factory HID setup. So, I recently purchased the factory HID headlight assemblies, Denso D4R ballasts, and Phillips D4R Xeneco HID bulbs. I was tempted to go with a cheaper aftermarket kit, but I wanted to keep it legal, so I went the factory route.

Anyway, I took it to the dealer for installation today, and they were confused with the wiring. They said that my car doesn't have the power cable that plugs into the input for the auto-leveling setup (please see attached pic). They were also unsure how to connect the HID setup to the ECU. They are going to do some research, but I wanted to see if anybody has any knowledge for splicing wires, adding new cables, modifying the ECU, etc.

I was hoping that this would be a fairly simple retrofit, but now I'm confused!

Attached Files:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the auto leveling feature even need to be hooked up?

My other concern is how they are going to wire the high beam signal input so that it activates the bulb cover in the HID lights.

If this doesn't work for ya I may be willing to buy the assemblies from you.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You need what's called the headlight beam level control ECU. It sits behind the glove box. I don't know if the car is pre-wired for it or not. This would also demand the presence of the height sensor, which mounts near the rear strut on the driver's side.

I think you are looking at lots of technician time and additional parts (salvage pulls) to get this done to where auto-leveling works. I also don't know if the auto-leveling wiring also controls the high/low beam function.

4. Scotty Danger

Scotty Danger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for the input guys. I was wondering about just leaving the auto-leveling disconnected. I hear that the auto-leveling only makes adjustments when the actual load on the car changes (and not when the car is moving over hilly terrain). I never carry heavy loads.

Of course, I'd rather have it hooked up. I'll check out the headlight beam level control ECU.

FL8 - I definitely might be interested in selling these and just doing the Morimoto projector conversion that you had originally suggested! Ughhh!

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before you give up, give Lightwerks a call and see if they can do a projector retrofit for you for the same price or less thank the dealer is charging you. The Morimoto minis are only $110 and you already have the HID kit plus headlight assemblies. When you sell the car just put your old headlight assemblies back in and sell all the HID stuff. :)

6. sparks1957

sparks1957 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello everyone. I have a 2005 Prius and I have to say I love this car! Have over 138K miles on it and get over 45MPG on it. I have a caution light on that indicates a headlight leveling issue. What is the most common resolution to this issue.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius