1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Full-size spare fits Gen4 Three and TPMS monitors all 5 tires

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RissRolla, Jun 24, 2018.

1. RissRolla

RissRolla Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I took the opportunity to get a fully functional full-size spare when replacing the original Toyo NanoEnergy tires at 45K miles. I bought a matching OEM wheel and TPMS unit online. When mounting the new tires my mechanic saved the best tire on its wheel as a spare, programmed the used TPMS to match the car and installed it on the car. The five tires/wheels are full-size and have operating TPMS. After removing the foam insert the floor is slightly less solid but the optional rubber mat adds rigidity. This arrangement adds significant storage below the cargo floor, particularly in the center of the wheel. When the new tires are significantly worn at another 40-50K miles I can include the spare in the rotation and then replace it with the next set of tires. I will always have a full-size spare that has some tread and it's only as old as the last set of tires. The new Mastercraft LSR Touring tires seem to be ok in terms of mpg but I'm still in the first tank of gas. They seem to handle better than the Toyo NanoEnergy tires and appear slightly wider even though they are the same 195/65/15.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your car came with a temp spare? I'd dub this cargo-cult, but if it works for you that's what counts.

alanclarkeau likes this.