1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Full-Sized Spare Tire Fit in Cargo Spare Storage Well of 2017 Four?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Priifan, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One page one of this thread multiple responders have tried to dissuade her from this, pointing out road side emergency responders do not have the wherewithal to mount, balance and air up a loose tire:

Full-Sized Spare Tire Fit in Cargo Spare Storage Well of 2017 Four? | PriusChat

From there on the discussion went to the mechanics of incorporated a spare mounted on rim, assuming OP would reconsider, which sadly was not the case.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't it interesting how things have changed. When my Dad bought his first car, an Austin A40 Devon (I was about 11) from my grandfather. Besides teaching him to drive, I remember him giving Dad (in reality me, as Dad didn't quite get into repairs) demonstrations on:
    • changing a wheel
    • fixing a flat tyre (tube)
    • mounting a tyre and tube
    • adjusting the valve clearances (he suggested every 2000 miles)
    • greasing a myriad of places
    • changing oils, water (not coolant then)
    • even maintaining the leather!!!
    I distinctly remember patching tyres - just a bit harder than on my pushbike, same principle.

It's so different now.

ETP, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys! Ease off on the aggression here. The lady's had a bad day, that's all! Perhaps things could have been better, but they weren't and AFAIK, we can't change history. Like she said, it is VERY different for a woman alone who can feel extremely vulnerable out of a nice neighbourhood. In her place, I think might have panicked and become agitated and confused. Who amongst us has not at some time done something that might have been done better. It is no use bolting the stable for after the horse has escaped, to coin a phrase.

Mendel Leisk, ETP and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I missed that point. Wish I could change my post but it is locked down tight.

Sorry everyone and especially the lady on a dark road in the middle of no where. Got to admit if the spare tire in a can did not work I would have tried to limp to the nearest store of any kind and called.

Reminds me to throw both cans in the trunk for my next trip (next to my plug kit which Godzilla would not be able to use).
    Shredded tire (although rare) you will be in the creek without a paddle.

The Corolla doughnut from a junk yard is still the best bet folks. Just don't want to hack up my new cars.

Fortunately with ATT service I seldom ever get a dead spot but it can happen. Pretty much have service everywhere driving the back roads of Florida and Alabama.

People who visit me have no phone service with other carriers.

#64 ETP, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could ask a MODERATOR to modify your post if you really wanted to - just "REPORT" it.

6. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tried with the report button. We will see if that works. I know mods can't change stuff after so many days as my old tire pressure thread cannot be edited. Needed to add 32PSI in the selection list and delete some others for the poll.

RCO likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prifan's experience has further reinforced my thoughts about carrying a full size spare when I do my round Australia trip, hopefully next year. It'll be about 15,000km, and some roads where it would be much more than the limit for a temporary spare, and where flat-bed trucks could cost a fortune and take ages to arrive. When I worked in the outback of Queensland, any vehicles which went longer distances were equipped with 2 full-size spares.
    upload_2017-5-18_19-26-3.png

ETP and RCO like this.
  8. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would take two full size spares on a steel rim if it is cheaper and live out of a sack.
    Are your taking the piano with you?

Better yet buy a small cheap pick up truck.

Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I'll just be pining for Clara (my piano) every night. I was thinking one full-size, the pretend spare plus a goo kit & compressor I've got.

ETP and RCO like this.
  10. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You actually live in Easley, SC? My Wife's sister lives on the lake.

I am slipping into the dark side. I can feel the power flow through my veins.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Had a Kawai grand as a young man in the military but only me and the two cats attempted to play it. I think the Grey cat was actually pretty good at it.

Two full sizes above a baby grand.

#70 ETP, May 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clara is about 4yrs old, she's a GROTRIAN 7'4". She was my retirement present to myself. I've 2 dogs, but they're not allowed to play.

But, they sleep happily underneath - they have a selection of dog beds in the room, but often drag them underneath - must be quite loud there.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Temp spare, jack, and a decent plug repair kit: your odds are pretty good. Also have a square of plywood to put under the jack when on dirt, wheel chocks, gloves, a big plastic bag for dirty take-off tire. You know: just be sensible, lol.

The ONE thing I'm not up on: how to deal with glued-on rims, on roadside. In the garage I use 2x4 blocking and a sledge hammer wack on the the inside, but roadside is different conditions. And yes: I do put anti-seize on the hubs.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really wouldn't go with a full size spare, the negatives just outweigh the benefits. I've always preferred donuts, they are lighter so less effect on MPG and they are easier to install on the side of the road. Just about every car I've ever owned I was able to drive more than 50 miles on the donut, with probably much more to go honestly. In this day and age you should be able to get home/to an air pump/to a mechanic/to walmart/to a place that has cellphone signal within 50 miles.

A full size tire though is completely useless without a rim and is worth 0 to carry. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to help anyone who has this idea.

I also carry a 30$ air compressor that connects to the 12 volt battery. With that I can just continuously add air to the tire until I get where I need to go, and that is good enough except for catastrophic failure where I would put the donut on.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good point, I forgot that in my "grocery list" above.

A semi-decent bicycle pump works too.

15. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have thought of this a lot...

If we as a country really want to save weight/fuel and have cars without spare tires, we should develop a single "one size fits all" kind of spare tire (let's call it "universal spare"). For instance, in the US, federal laws could require that every passenger car sold without a spare tire must function with a universal spare tire, either installed directly to the wheel or with an adapter stowed in the vehicle (to account for different bolt patterns etc.). State laws could be written to ensure that all licensed tow trucks travel with a supply of universal spares, or have universal spares available to them 24/7 within a certain number of miles from the tow truck's territory.

Yes, I realize that it's hard to make a single universal spare that could work with, say, a Smart Car, a Prius, and a Suburban... but any cars that can't fit the universal spare would simply be required to carry a spare tire on board...

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it needs more thought:

1. The temp spare on the Prius, and I would hazard that's the case with any car, has an Outside Diameter that is pretty much identical to the regular tires. Standardizing tire OD's??

2. Four hole bolt pattern? Five? That's gonna be a deal breaker...

3. Conical base lug nuts? Acorn Style? Thread diameter and pitch? Metric? Imperial? Lug projection?

4. Hub opening size?

5. Offset?

6. Clearance from brakes?

alanclarkeau and breakfast like this.
  17. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh yeah, it would be a ten year effort at minimum. It absolutely needs more thought, but so does anything that would increase safety and fuel economy for millions...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A donut is useless unless you're reasonably close to a service centre.

When this happened to me (not my actual wheel, but was similar) I was glad I had a spare wheel with a new tyre. It was 660km before we found somewhere which had a replacement tire. Even if I had a pretend temp spare - with an 80km driving range, I'd have to walk the last 580km and back carrying the repaired wheel (or spent a small fortune putting the car on a truck.

[​IMG]

RCO likes this.
  19. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's only because you drove around looking for an exact tire. If it is a real emergency and you can only drive 100 miles or less, ANY tread pattern would work. Plus that type of catastrophic failure is extremely rare, it has never happened to me.

I have had probably 17 flats in my life and only 2 of them required me to put a donut on, all the rest just needed topping up with the portable air compressor(no gunk) ranging from once every day to once every 5 minutes until I could get it patched on the inside.

Personally, I wouldn't want to carry all that weight and make it more difficult to change in scenarios where I would only need a donut for something that only has a 1/1000 chance of happening to a properly maintained and inflated tire.

Worst case scenario if I had a catastrophic blow out like that I would put the donut on and call the nearest tire places. If nobody has a match in stock I would drive home and order one from the internet and get 1 day shipping.

EDIT: My old 1998 explorer had a full size spare under the car, it was the original 1998 exploding Firestone all the way until I traded it in in 2015. The release cable was completely rusted, the tire couldn't be removed unless cut out with tools. I carried my air compressor and never got stranded in those years.(due to tires)

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wait a sec: isn't the limit 80 kilometers per hour speed, not distance? (n)

Page 687, in my Canadian Manual, fwiw:

upload_2017-5-19_6-43-12.png