1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Full-Sized Spare Tire Fit in Cargo Spare Storage Well of 2017 Four?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Priifan, Mar 8, 2017.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might be right - the PRIUS manual only states the speed. But I'm sure previous cars had an 80km limit. I couldn't find anything on GOOGLE other than AutoGuide which states generically "You can expect to get about 50 miles on a spare tire like this, and some are rated up to 70 miles". I wouldn't want to attempt 660km, though.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm - it needed to be the right size tyre. That was 660km away. As it was, it ended up being a different brand/tread, but at least it was a tyre.

I don't think you understand:
    1) this was in the middle of nowhere, 140km (on dirt) from the nearest town which had a pub, corner store, fuel and about 800 residents. The nearest town with tyre service was a bit over 200km away.
    2) there was no phone access, definitely no internet anywhere nearby
    3) 1 day shipping? That doesn't happen here. The nearest town with tyre repair facilities quoted "about 5 days" delivery, and I would have had to pay freight.

Since 1998, I've put a spare tyre on at least 6 or 8 times, your environment must be better than here. I've had one other tyre which wasn't repairable, a bolt through the sidewall instantly deflated it. And, yes, I always carry a pump.

I posted #15 with a map, signs.

RCO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have I told you about our daughter and her Pilot... :whistle:

I think I have, lol.

4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2017-5-20_12-41-25.png
    if you did - I think I've forgotted ...

5. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost all of my flats have been due to nails, pieces of wood, or rocks puncturing the tire. Almost all have also been repairable with an internal tire patch at the least. I know Australia is a different environment though, and I don't drive through the American southwest either. Where I live with Verizon I even have cell signal deep in the Appalachian mountains.

If I ever do drive through any outback type of scenario I wouldn't take the Prius either, but if I did I would probably just keep a full size spare in the garage except for when I know I will be driving through an area where th donut might not give me enough range.