1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Full state of charge vs 80%

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 23, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

One of the earliest facts shared with newbie owners is the difference between the indicated battery SOC and the actual range of battery charge. Yet even today, there is a lot of ignorance about what State of Charge means, much less, how it is measured. Yet Prius owners have been making studies almost as soon as the car arrived. For example, there is an excellent write-up in "Prius Technical Stuff" dated from 2003:
    In this case, the state of charge was measured using what is called a coulomb counter.

The State of Charge is a ratio of the current energy content of the battery versus the actual Amp Hour (Ahr) capacity of the battery. As they age, the Ahr capacity decays over time and also changes as a function of temperature and the available energy is subject to charge/discharge rates.

Since we have someone who misquotes folks to post inflated claims about the indicated battery display versus the actual SOC of the traction battery, let's have some fun and throughly discuss the subject. It is time to address inflated and nonsense claims head-to-head. . . . "Shall we play a game?"

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the SOC range on the Prius is 40% (80% to 40%) which is the reason why it has the longevity it does.

what is the duty cycle of the battery chemistry on deeper discharge/recharge cycles.

on my RC car, i use NiMH batts along with about a million AA cells used to power the multitude of battey operated gadgets my nearly 3 YO Son has. and without proper charge management, most NiMH batts seem to last about 100-300 charge cycles.

now, this is my personal experience and i am only guessing, but i can say for sure that my batts dont last 10 years.

as far as the quote above, does the scanner track separately charge in or charge out? or just the overall result of the two? if the latter is the case, then the perceived amount of charge would have to be dependent on the rate of recharge as well.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Exactly! DaveinOlyWA

Those who know what they are talking about are well aware of:
    [​IMG]

Given the NiMH modules are rates at 6.5 Ahr, then we also know the "C" is typically used for charge as well as discharge rates:

• 1 C = 6.5 A
    • 2 C = 13 A
    • 4 C = 26 A
    • 8 C = 52 A
    • 12 C = 78 A (maximum I've seen in my Graham scanner data)
    Now the real challenge, the interesting question is:
    Given our traction battery control electronics are limited to 20 kW and the battery voltage varies over time, how many C is that? Sounds like a poll question.
    A poll question, a quiz by any other name. Something along the lines of:

1. 9.6 C @320V and 63A?
    2. 11.2 C @300 V and 67A?
    3. 11.0 C @ 280 V and 71A?
    4. 12.7 C @ 273 V and 75A?
    5. 12.9 C @ 260 V and 77A?
    6. All of the above?
    7. None of the above?
    Come' on "experts," pick and post your answers. <GRINS>

Bonus question:
    Cite a credible source as to why we do not use the rates 6.5 Ahr as the traction battery module, capacity.
    Bob Wilson

4. jk450

jk450 New Member

State of charge cannot be measured by coulomb counting alone.

I haven't seen any inflated claims about the indicated battery display. Nor have I seen any misquoting.

Patrick Wong did pose the question "does "full charge" mean 100% or four bars, on the SOC gauge?", and when it was pointed out that such terminology could confuse the newcomer, he clarified his statement. Not a big deal.

IMHO, there are better uses for the forum than that. Games are for folks with lots of time on their hands.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What a sad and pathetic answer. A coulomb counter is the gold standard.
    Strange but they seem to be showing up all over this forum. For example, the lame attempt to accuse Patrick Wong of something he didn't say.
    Actually there was never a question but what is called a "strawman" assertion and not by Patrick Wong.
    Better posting practices would start by not making stuff up as recent examples have shown.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  6. jk450

jk450 New Member

Sorry, but "coulomb counting" is just one component of an accurate SOC calculation.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is and remains the direct charge counter. Trying to introduce something else without saying or describing what these "mystery elements" are remains, sad to say, an inadequate and misleading claim. It implies knowledge not evident in the obviously weak claim.

Bob Wilson

8. jk450

jk450 New Member

Counting charge is not the same thing as calculating state of charge.

There's no mystery here. Those who are interested in how state of charge is calculated can simply research "coulomb counting" and "state of charge".

Since these are fairly basic concepts, information is easy to find.

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not being as technically oriented as you guys, wouldn't many factors enter into this question? Is battery being looked at in a pure lab situation? If so this automatically erases any real world resuts. If, tested in situ, then even more factors enter into the question, ie: Are we always in charge mode, discharge mode. Or are we in a combination mode that is continually cycling? And this cycling is so persistent that measurements are impossible. What about parasitic loads? Probably much more involved than we can even imagine. In the meantime I'll take Toyotas word for the 40-80% charge range, as they probably did thier testing in very tight parameters, And included multiple batteries and multiple testing procedures. And then experimenerted with real world system testing. Anyway contemplation is always fun.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    **non technical rambling warning**

i think (dont really know) that there is too many outside parameters that must be considered when predicting what is going to happen with the state of the traction battery...

back when we were all trying to figure out what the HSI was telling us, it didnt take long to realize that the information the display was giving us depended on

what kind of driving we were doing
    what mode we were driving in
    current SOC
    current engine temps

and i am sure there are other factors as well. just as the HSD adjusts to best provide the motive power requested, the HSI also adjusts its display as well. so pinpointing areas of the display to provide a definition of what was happening with the car simply was not possible because the #1 factor always started out with "it depends on..."

SOC, ultimately gives us an indication of power available. granted, other data must be known to understand exactly what SOC truly means. battery capacity, voltages, etc. all plays a factor but lets face it. there is only 8 bars. how much accuracy are we really going to have here?

1 person likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've not tried to count the display states of the NHW11 battery indication. Still I would add, it has no quantitative numbers. The owner only had something like this to call it 'fully charged:'
    [​IMG]
    (Image from YahooGroup "Prius Technical Stuff" files.)

There is a lot we haven't figured out about the NiMH batteries, both NHW11 and NHW20. State of Charge is at best going to be an estimate based upon the designer's best guess. It relies upon some engineering estimate of the traction battery Ahr capacity, which we know from the Dept. of Energy and other studies of the NHW11 modules, decreases over time.

Personally, I'm interested in a detailed study of the NHW11 and eventually the NHW20 modules. They represent an unrealized resource because we don't know enough about their characteristics. Fortunately, some of us are reverse engineering them and gaining insights. Arguing about State of Charge is a little like disputing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (answer: As many that want to.)

I am more interested in:

• What is the most cost-effective method to restore original Ahr capacity in NHW11 modules?
    • Can we come up with a better sealing solution so they last closer to NHW20 modules?
    • What should be the maintenance schedule for NHW11 modules?
    • How do we optimize the existing, USA inventory of NHW11 modules?
    • What operator signals or insights can we provide so they minimize NHW11 module stress?
    • How can we quantify the "remaining life" of an NHW11 traction battery?
    These are the sorts of original contributions, the types of investigations that move us forward.

Bob Wilson

Biopete likes this.
  12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have also had that thought as well even with my traction battery. is there a type of "specific gravity" test for NiMH similar to lead acid batts?

normally, changing battery capacity gives us an idea of how much battery life is left. but in the Pri's situation where we dont use the full capacity, we would have no warnings at all.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comment:
    Sad to say, not really although there is an indirect method. We know that loss of capacity is associated with loss of electrolyte, the water. This has mass so we could get an indirect measure by comparing the weight of a module versus a new module. Sad to say, this is impractical. But there is another approach, the gravity well.

This was first proposed in "Prius Technical Stuff" and the methodology is:

• force charge battery - note, this will also heat the battery but it will ensure the battery is fully charged at what the controller declares to be 80%.
    • slowly up hill in reverse until it stops - this runs off of just the battery until it reaches 40%.
    • potential energy change ~= traction battery kWhr for 80%-40%, or roughly 40% of the battery capacity
    • convert kWhr to Ahr at 7.2 V. and divide by 0.40 => best estimate of traction battery Ahr capacity

The maintenance manual discusses a forced discharge and charge cycle using car 'chocked' and voltages monitored to measure the dV, maximum of 0.3 allowed. However, it really isn't designed to measure the Ahr capacity. But with a Graham scanner recording the current over time, we could come up with a best estimate.

The problem with both approaches is the stress on the traction battery. I would not mind running it if the car were 'cold soaked' at say 40F because the exothermic heating from charging the battery would work out about right. But I would not do it in an Alabama summer day.

Bob Wilson

14. jk450

jk450 New Member

Let's back up.

A couple of days ago, you initiated this thread, in which you proposed that battery state of charge be discussed:

Indeed, "state of charge" is part of the thread's title.

In that thread, you asserted that state of charge was measured with a process called "coulomb counting":

Unfortunately, that is not the case, although coulomb counting is a component of SOC calculation.

The error was pointed out, to which you responded:

and termed the correction

However, you presented no evidence to support your assertions, despite being given adequate opportunity to do so.

It is odd to see such emotional responses on a technical forum. I would think that folks on this forum would welcome the opportunity to learn more. At any rate, you were invited to spend a few minutes researching the subject so that you could learn how state of charge is really calculated, and were given a couple of hints as to how to do so.

Now it appears that—rather than encourage a discussion in which folks might learn something—you don't want to discuss state of charge at all. But you do want to discuss battery charge and discharge.

In my opinion, an understanding of how state of charge is calculated is quite pertinent to discussions of battery operation.

What gives?

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When the owner of the 2001 Prius reported, "It is fully charged," he only had this display:
    [​IMG]
    Folks who have never seen this display before may not realize there are no State of Charge metrics on it. In fact the State of Charge is at best an estimate best confirmed by doing a series of charge-discharge cycles using a Coulomb counter.

This thread is a chance to educate those who don't have clue and it may yet work. It can't do anything about the willfully ignorant but like my drill instructor used to say, "Let God sort them out."

Bob Wilson

16. jk450

jk450 New Member

The Prius can calculate SOC to a tenth of a percent.

The Prius does not employ regular charge-discharge cycles, yet can calculate SOC dynamically.

With all due respect, I would recommend that you study how SOC is calculated before attempting to explain it.

On this one point, you are correct.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source? Back up your claims with sources ... say:

• Your own experiments
    • An SAE paper
    • A Dept. of Energy paper
    One of the best Prius Friends, Hobbit, also prefers to remain somewhat anonymous but he backs up his reports very nicely:
    Hobbit's techie-rants

Understand all it takes is either a description of your own experiments or source material. But going back to SOC, the subject of this thread.

Experimental data really isn't that hard to gather and share:
    [​IMG]
    The MRC 989 simply counts the charge added and drained from the module. A simple but perfectly functional Coulomb counter. The ratio of traction battery actual charge versus the charge added makes the State of Charge, a ratio. The SOC is useful to give an indication of how much energy is stored in the battery but this only works if we know how much energy the battery can store.

In contrast, consider how many SOC units are available in this display:
    [​IMG]
    Since there are no units in the display, all anyone can claim is 'it is fully charged.' Without running a charge-discharge cycle, no one really knows the battery capacity.

Since we have a stretch of cold weather, I'll try to run the test Saturday morning with the Graham scanner using the "Check ... block voltage during charging/discharging" (DI-346-348) protocol. I'm coming up on my bi-annual oil change and tire rotation and alignment, this will be a nice addition.

Bob Wilson

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since you appear to be such an expert on this subject, would you be so kind to explain this to the rest of us, rather than just continuing to tell someone else they are wrong without any
    facts or data to substantiate?

1 person likes this.
  19. jk450

jk450 New Member

Why make it so complicated? Better to go to the source. Use the datastream of the vehicle itself.

Sorry, but the image you posted does not show a fully charged battery. I'm not sure why anyone would claim that.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What, no backup data? What a shame.

Bob Wilson