1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fully Discharged Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 12whiteprius, Apr 3, 2021.

1. 12whiteprius

12whiteprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see 2012 gen 3s for sale with 10k miles on them. How much damage is done to the hybrid battery if it dies completely from sitting for months at a time?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are making an incorrect assumption.
    The hybrid battery typically will NOT "self discharge" like the 12 V ones do.
    The recommended storage point is something like half charged.

3. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My Prius basically sat for a year while I worked abroad. A friend was supposed to drive it periodically but hardly ever did. The 12v battery died but the hybrid battery was fine and still is 7 years later.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota's guidelines, recently mentioned in another thread, are to put the car in READY for half an hour every two months for charge maintenance of both batteries, as both lose charge during storage.

I think of two months as longer than I expect the 12 volt battery to hold up, but then the dealer storage conditions may be with the short pin removed, which could explain the difference.