1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having issues with the search function, is anyone else?

Regardless, I'm trying to find out if anyone has installed a Fumoto quick valve for oil changes. I usually install one on all my vehicles because it makes DIY oil changes so much easier.

Also, if there is a sticky for an oil change procedure I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Meister

Meister Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have one on my Prius that I installed a couple of years ago. I have no problems with it other than it does make it slow to drain the oil. I place a quick tie on it because it is so low to the ground although I have never had any issues with it. I do not use a quick tie on my other vehicle Fumoto valves.

Gorilla97 likes this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't use it, but several here do.

Oil change is real basic. Just make sure you don't overfill.

3.5 quarts with a filter is perfect. 4 quarts is TOO much. Keep the oil level below the top dimple and way above the bottom dimple of the dipstick. When reading the dipstick, be aware that there is a volume difference of 1.6 quarts from top dimple to bottom dimple. If you pull the dipstick and it is reading on the bottom dimple, you basically only have about 2 quarts of oil in your engine.

Filter Install - Tighten 3/4 turn after gasket touches base plate on ICE
    Plug Torque Rating - 27 ft. lbs.
    If you are not using the Fumoto Valve, it is recommended to replace the crush washer with each oil change.
    Synthetic oil is recommended by those here on PC including myself.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah there's several members here using them.

I can see the appeal of that valve if you've ever really struggled with a way over-tightened drain plug or stripped threads etc, but honestly if you change your own oil and don't over-tighten then pulling the regular drain plug is literally a one minute job. Every oil change is the same as the last one for me, a 14 mm socket on plug and removal in about 60 seconds without any kind of fussing or fighting. Personally I've never seen much need for an F-valve.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For me it's more about not making a huge mess. For whatever reason I just can't seem to do an oil change without spilling something!

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I prefer the Fram Sure Drain SD-3, which is no longer made but is still available on eBay;

I've been using them, since they first came out. I'm waiting until my two year Toyota service is over to install mine on the next oil change.

7. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had not seen the Fram version before I might have to give that one a try.

Mike500 likes this.
  8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The orange tube allows me to drain the oil directly into a milk jug, a windshield washer bottle or an antifreeze bottle.

Really neat!