1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fungus (!!!) growing inside dashboard glass

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bramesh, Jan 20, 2010.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota is keenly aware of the G3 dash rattle problem and probably did the felt-lining of all plastic components while they had it apart proactively.

2. MsTambo

MsTambo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone actually paid for an out of warranty replacement on this? We just bought a used 2010 Prius (48k miles) with this issue. frustrating thing was that I called the local dealership before we bought the car and asked if they would fix it. Guy on the phone said they knew about the issue and would, and then after I brought in the car, they said it would be $500+. I called toyota directly and they said they aren't aware of the issue but would be getting back to me. For those who got it fixed, what were the exact parts that need to be fixed? can it just be cleaned?

Attached Files:

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most on here that had this issue had the part of the instrument panel with the issue replaced under warranty. My dealer chose to just remove mine, clean the lenses and put it back in. I have not an issue since.

Toyota is very much aware of this issue from the number of complaints just on this site.

4. MsTambo

MsTambo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for responding. It's a bummer that the first owner of the car didn't take care of this issue while it was still under the 36k warranty. When I called Toyota (2 dealerships and the corporate line so far) I had referenced this thread on here as well as the case numbers earlier, but they said they were uninterested in those and said they don't care about "people on the internet with the same issues" and gave me the "we sell millions of these cars and aren't concerned if 20 people have a problem" speech.

Basically we are just trying to figure out what our options are for a simple and/or cheap repair on this and if anyone has had luck. The dealership I took it to said it couldn't be cleaned and would have to be fully replaced.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I had one Service Advisor give me the "people can say whatever they want on the internet" when I mentioned Prius Chat. He also told me that they had not heard of my instrument panel problem before.

When I went to pick it up he slipped up and said that when the Technician looked at it he made the comment that they had been successful just cleaning the lenses on several cars ! When I fired back that I thought they had not seen this problem before he quickly changed the subject :eek:

The dash does have to be taken apart to get to the instrument panel. If you can take the dash apart, or have someone that you can trust to take it apart, the lenses most definitely can be cleaned.

6. waters511

waters511 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm about to find out. I'm in the process of talking with the dealership and Toyota. I thought it was a fingerprint over my battery display but within the past few months, it spread to the top of the display all the way to the clock. Obviously not a fingerprint anymore! My dealership, when I first spoke to them, said they would have to take apart the dash to get to it to clean it off, but never mentioned cost. Now that it's spread and it's a fungus not a fingerprint, the dealership now says I'm going to have to purchase a new assembly. She recommended that I call Toyota and see what they can do, since I most likely don't want to look at buying a new assembly. Toyota wants me to try and get my dealership to clean it, so I've called back and left a message to see what can be done. When I first complained, I was already past the warranty that would have covered it =0(

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess if someone ever does a DIY, document the procedure for all to see.

8. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sigh... Got a 2010 with this and am at about 45000 miles... Guess I have to hope it doesn't grow.

9. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a smudge on my HSI and have always been puzzled in how it got there.

I guess now I have a reason to take off my dashboard to clean it :). I can also do the auto headlight mod.

10. Charlie Bravo

Charlie Bravo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got my Prius back from the dealer for an unrelated issue, but I had them take a look at the condesation/fungus inside my dash glass. They said it would be about $500 to replace the glass. I may just bite the bullet and have Toyota do it. Removing the dash seems like a pretty big job.

11. Wad

Wad New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    My 2013 Prius V developed a lot of fungus growth under the display glass within the first 4 months of it's life as a car. I live in Florida and it was summer at the time, which means humidity. I took it to the dealer, and they kept the car for 5 days so they could order a new glass display assembly. Meantime, I had developed a nasty cough. When I had a rental for 5 days, the cough went away...when I got by Prius V back, with no visible signs of fungus any longer, the cough returned. (I have mild asthma and mold allergies). I suspect that the fungus still lives in various areas of the dashboard and that it is making me sick. Has anyone else developed a cough from this? What type of fungus is it? Also, is there any sense of what is causing this problem other than a "defective part"? I can't believe the dude who blames the climate. Cars sold in the US should work in the US, period. We cannot blame the climate for a manufacturer or design defect. So far Toyota has acted responsibly with me, except their refusal or inability to give me any sense of what caused this problem and why.

12. Raman Ganapathi

Raman Ganapathi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I noticed that fungus is growing on the back of energy monitor display in 2010 Prius car. I surprised that many owners have similar problems and dealer service technician and Toyota customer service staff do not have idea of the problem. This problem should have been resolved by Toyota recall.
    The display is nice but the design is bad, they should have simple flat glass and the dashboard area should air tight to avoid any moister buildup.
    Also the dash board glass should be easy take out clean if needed.
    I can clean the outside but that does not help with any moisture of fungus growth on the inside.
    Any body with similar problem had any luck getting it fixed without spending out pocket expense?
    Regards
    Rayman

13. Raman Ganapathi

Raman Ganapathi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I noticed that fungus is growing on the back of energy monitor display in 2010 Prius car. I surprised that many owners have similar problems and dealer service technician and Toyota customer service staff do not have idea of the problem. This problem should have been resolved by Toyota recall.
    The display is nice but the design is bad, they should have simple flat glass and the dashboard area should air tight to avoid any moister buildup.
    Also the dash board glass should be easy take out clean if needed.
    I can clean the outside but that does not help with any moisture of fungus growth on the inside.
    Any body with similar problem had any luck getting it fixed without spending out pocket expense?
    Regards
    Rayman

14. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I really wish there was a factory service manual available other than the pay per day/ month on the internet.

Seems most don't wish to have Toyota do the repair for fear of rattles or because of cost.

A Toyota dash I would assume has to be easier than a Ferrari dash.

Can someone attach the dash and lens removal service procedure?
    The TSB on the felt/ rattle proofing that is also mentioned in this thread?

Mine is a year 2016 v4 and I do not have this mold issue (yet).

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  15. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any
    Any new news on a DIY fix?
    It really looked nice when new...

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you slide a piece of paper along the top to your dashboard and right up to the display, you'll see that part of it is projected. If that's where the blurriness is, it's possible that you can carefully clean the external area where the image is projected, without taking anything apart.

17. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unfortunately its the MIL thats blurred...:(
    Learned to live with it but still dont like it. Any clues/tricks to removing the dash? :notworthy:

18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can check out the modders. They do all sorts of things with the displays. @Dylan Doxey is a good resource;).

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  19. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this is happening because you live in a high humidity climate?

I'm familiar with the anatomy of the instrument cluster. The "glass" is actually smoked acrylic.

upload_2016-9-18_19-44-32.png

It does take some courage and know-how to get the dashboard cover off. If I was dealing with this myself, I could probably have it apart and cleaned out in 60 to 90 minutes. If @sfv41901 was working on it, maybe half that time. (Maybe there's an online how-to for dash cover removal.)

If this were my car, I would ...
    • dry the cluster thoroughly with a hair dryer
    • put some desiccant bags in there
    • then use silicone sealant to make the instrument cluster air tight.

Raytheeagle likes this.