1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Funny Little Fan in my 98 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hannah, Sep 2, 2004.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Recreation Vehicle, a small travel trailer, motor home of various sizes. RV come in all shapes and sizes. Usually have a 12 electrical system but use an inverter to "hook up" to an outside 120V source. Usually at a "campground" a glorified parking lot with landscaping, some more some less that lets "RV" get power, water, and waste disposal hook up. It is an American thing. Some folks around here call that "camping" We like to get out and about. I have a RV a pop up tent trailer. Driving it is lower than the window level of my Ford Explorer. Get to the parking site a RV site with hook ups or a US Forest Service campground, and you crank up the top with tent walls. But don't think I suffer. The battery provides power. I have a propane refrigerator, propane heat, hot water heater, running water from a tank with a pump to provide water pressure. Toilette and shower with storage tank when you are away from hook up. First class camping. My wife has limited patience for sleeping on the ground away from a shower.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    recreational vehicle, the inverter is used to convert ac to dc and vice versa. i have two on my RV. i cant for the life of me understand why they do this. realize that the DC power i have is rectified AC (rectified means that the neg component of the sine wave AC signal has been removed or in some cases, the neg signal is removed, the polarity reversed, and the added back to the orginal signal. this is done in DC because to not do so would result in a net voltage of zero)

why i couldnt go straight from the generator to the ac is beyond me. the reason i have two inverters is one runs only on battery power ( the smaller one) while the other runs for higher current needs and must have engine running to work.

the problem is that output from an inverter produces a square wave which isnt always well liked by various AC power components. also each time the power is converted, power losses occur.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    inverter converts DC to AC

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Hannah does the wire harness plug into a black flex loom harness that goes under the front carpet just at the body pan stiffner that the front of the seat mounts on?

5. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    will let you know once I check it...

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what we need is a japanese intrepter. you should take a good closeup of the print and post it here. we have a few posters from japan. maybe they can help you out.

7. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good suggestion..shall do at some stage..

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Just to clarify: Hannah has a MK 1 Prius (the one sold in the late 1990s, only in Japan.)

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hence the need for a japenese translator.

10. mspencer

mspencer New Member

I took 5 semesters of Japanese -- how can I be of service? :)

(more importantly, I can do the rough dictionary lookup and whatnot, turn an image from someone's digital camera into actual Japanese text, and THEN we can babelfish or get a Japanese person or something. I can NOT speak this language in a real conversation, without like 5x more dead air than speech. I suck at this language.)

Because of my lack of ability, please get lots of text detail. Unfamiliar kanji is difficult for me, and I only know about 300 kanji out of the 2000 required for normal adult literacy in Japan. I should be able to see the shape and direction of each individual stroke of each character clearly, or else I might not be able to read something. A native speaker wouldn't have that problem.

--Michael Spencer

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well we have forum member from japan. so im sure they could help.

12. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I send my car to a guy to fix some dents..hence the picture of the fan has to wait...

13. mspencer

mspencer New Member

Forgive the topic bump, but did you ever get your car back so you could get those pictures?

--Michael Spencer

14. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all..
    Yes I got my car back however I do not own a digital camera...will post pics as soon as I can get hold of one...sorry for the delay.

Kind regards

15. Frank Hudon

how did the body work and paint job turn out. Factory colour or did you change it to a custom colour?

16. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THE PAINT JOB WAS A BLOODY WELL DONE BY A LOCAL DUDE..KEPT IT TO ORIGINAL GREEN. COST ME NZD$100 TO REPAIR THE DENT AND REPAINT..
    CHEERS

17. Frank Hudon

good to hear that!

18. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everybody...
    I know it was long overdue however here are the pics...

On the front side (circled) it's written Microfan...Any idea what this could be...

Many thanks

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm doesnt look good. it would appear to be some sort of electrical warning and it might not be much help in determining what it does.