1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Furthest Distance to Next Nearest Prius

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are five in the area now, including mine. That doesn't sound like many, but in a town of 640 people...

Tom

2. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 4 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]455423[/snapback]</div>
    Agree with your assessment of NJ. My Prius is the only one in my office lot AND the only one in a 3 mile radius of my current house. I still get the "Do you have to plug it in?" question.
    I'm moving next month and I have yet to see another Prius in my new neighborhood.

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here in the N/W suburbs of Chicago, they're becoming more and more of a common sighting. On my way to work I usually see at least one a day. In the immediate area where I live, there's one across the street and one two streets down.

4. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Been seeing Tons here in AZ. Funny thing is they are all GRAY! Which I never saw till I ordered mine! ha-ha

A few houses up the street has a Driftwood one, & Ive seen a few others in the neighborhood

5. mgipe

mgipe New Member

I pulled into a local restaurant parking lot for lunch recently. The lot has space for thirty cars. My Barcelona was the fourth red Prius in the lot!

:eek:

6. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Far as I've been able to tell, I'm the only one in my condo building (138 units)---but everyone has different hours, so hard to say for sure... But I see at least a couple, every day driving to work, and know of 3 others in my office garage, often parking next to a blue one...

7. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We counted them today on our way to/from dropping the kids off at grandma's house. In about 60 miles, 23 Prii. We were only counting the ones going the opposite direction on the freeway from us, so easily it could be double that.

8. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 16 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]463193[/snapback]</div>
    So Dual Pwr (Dave), do you ever get confused for a "G-Man" when driving around Olympia?

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jun 30 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]470831[/snapback]</div>
    no not quite. the state and city vehicles also have "personalized" plates as well although i wouldnt midn their exempt status

10. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As far as I know, I'm the only Prius in my neighborhood. But I see lots driving in my town, and tons driving around the surounding towns. I realised the other day that they are about as common to see as any given Civic, Camry, Taurus, etc.

I still remember the days when it was rare to see one.

11. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starbug @ Jul 2 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]471236[/snapback]</div>
    Those days are still here way down south.

I have spotted one other in my rural district (one one occassion only) and three others in the city to our north and one other in the small town to our south. I am told there is one other that regularly parks in the student section here at the university (I have yet to see it), but mine is the only one in the staff lot.

Mind you, they are still quite dear here; $43,650 new (standard package -- add $10,100 for the i_Tech package). Used Prii that were "NZ-new" are nearly impossible to find, but lately Toyota and the CleanGreenCarCo are importing a fair number of used Prii from Japan. These are selling for about $19,995 for a Gen2 to about $30,000 for a Gen3 so their numbers will undoubtably increase. Toyota are selling their japanese imports through their signature series marque (factory refurbished) which is how I got mine.

12. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 1 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]471249[/snapback]</div>
    Oh wow, Prii are expensive over there! No wonder there aren't that many in NZ. Must be all the importation taxes or something? I could buy a BMW for the amount a Prius costs over there; that's insane. Dare I ask how much a BMW goes for?

13. dutton

dutton New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 4 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]455349[/snapback]</div>
    I live in Los Angeles - in the Silverlake neighborhood and Prii are multiplying like rabbits. I walk my daughter less than a mile to school and would see at least ten on the way, and could walk past another on a different route home. I'd guess a new one arrives in the neighborhood at least once a month. I'm also seeing more and more in the UCLA parking lots at work - at least six in my level of the parking structure.

George Dutton
    Los Angeles, CA

14. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starbug @ Jul 2 2007, 02:27 PM) [snapback]471260[/snapback]</div>
    No there's no importation taxes on goods brought into NZ (true free market economics). That's just the going rate for them here. At US $0.76 to the NZ dollar that's $33,174 USD for a new Prius (std package).
    I see the base price for a new 525i series sedan here is $95,900. (that's $72884 USD).

15. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 1 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]471281[/snapback]</div>
    Yarg, cars are expensive there (though BMW is expensive no matter where you live)! :eek: Kudos on the free market economics, though. I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy from the States and then ship it back to NZ? Probably not, huh? I hope they can keep shipping lots of used Prii over from Japan to you guys. NZ needs more Prii !

16. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starbug @ Jul 3 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]471786[/snapback]</div>
    Your steering wheels are on the wrong side of the car and we stopped using imperial measures.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starbug @ Jul 3 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]471786[/snapback]</div>
    They will, if people buy them.

The downside is that the MFD and voice interface is in japanese.
    The upside is that they don't have the "I agree" screen and they have lots of features only available (or available first) in the japanese domestic market. B)

17. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 2 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]471805[/snapback]</div>

LOL, good point! I forgot that you guys drive on the other side of the road.

No way to hack the MFD into English from Japanese? Ooooh, what kind of features do the Japanese Prii have that our's don't? I don't remember hearing that their's are different. Not fair! LOL.

18. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starbug @ Jul 3 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]471824[/snapback]</div>
    Here's some that came on my 2004
    Intelligent parking assistant, seats that adjust every which way, web messaging and browsing, EV switch, side mirror retraction, mini-Disc player, TV, fog lights that work independently from headlights, and some other stuff I'm still figuring out...

But basically a prius is a prius -- pretty good car eh?

19. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 2 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]471951[/snapback]</div>
    Oh man! I'm jealous! I wish our Prii had those options.

Yes, no matter what configuration, a Prius is a pretty dang good car! Mine doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the higher packages have, but I adore the car nonetheless. Hopefully I can afford a higher package level on my next Prius. B)

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 2 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]471951[/snapback]</div>
    wow, nice... i have a friend who goes to Japan about 3-4 times a year. he has a 6 MP cellphone he got there. has had it for close to a year. the big hoopla here is over the i phone and its paltry transfer speed of 150 kbps. my friend says average transfer speed for cellphones in Japan is about 3-6 Mbps.... that is only 20 to 40 times faster... and that is the middle of the road phones, good ones go faster