1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuse in Enginer 48v Charger?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by overlap, Jul 18, 2010.

1. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My battery charger stopped working. No LED lights or no relay clicks when plugged in. (Although the first time it failed, when I plugged it in I hard the distinctive clicks we hear when unplugging the charger. I never heard the 4 or 5 or 6 relay clicks when plugging it in before the failure.)

I have taken the battery charger out and its cuver off. Is there a fuse (or something) I could check?

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Overlap,
    I encourage you to join the Enginer Forum and to establish user status. There is a detailed thread about the charger fuse that is available to users.

There are 2 kinds of chargers. You can replace the fuse on either of them without taking the charger out of the system.
    RemoveFuse.jpg
    ChargerFuse.jpg
    Hope the pictures help.

The fuse in each is a standard European 5X20mm 15a fuse. You can order these from Digi-Key and get a 20a or 15a slow blow for a little more margin.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  3. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Much, again. After pulling out this "hidden" fuse, it looked good but failed the ohm meeter test and now working once again!!

Where is the Enginer-specific forum? I would like to join.

Clipped in a (probably) temporary blade-type fuse that seems to be working fine so far.

ChargerFuse1.jpg

ChargerFuse2.jpg

4. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Overlap,
    Go to the Enginer web site and click on user forum. Anyone can get to the general section. But if you request them to grant you User status then they will verify that you have a system and then grant you access to the user section.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  5. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for providing the specifications for the fuse. Looking at Radio Shack and Schuck's I did not find it but did find that a standard US AGW 15 AMP glass fuse does fit snuggly but completely within the metal prongs, but is too wide to fit within the plastic slide-in plug. For now this is fine.