1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuse shorts when adjusting side mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Saftkalas, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Saftkalas

Saftkalas New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello!

We recently bought a Prius gen II (Swedish sale if that matters) from 2006 and now when we try to adjust the right side mirror it instantly shorts a fuse. This disables the MFD, clock, etc.
    We have tried to replace the fuse (labelled ACC and in position 20 (interior fuse-box)) but as soon as we try to adjust the right side mirror it instantly shorts the fuse again.

Has anyone had a similar problem before?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not heard of this problem before. To diagnose, you would need to remove the inner door panel for access to the wiring harness connector leading to the mirror's motor. Disconnect the motor. Then operate the mirror switch.

If the fuse blows again, then the problem is in the switch or the wiring harness.

If the fuse does not blow then you have a short in the motor and need to replace it.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  3. Saftkalas

Saftkalas New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the diagnosing tip. I'll try that out and see what I find out.
    I'll report back whatever I find :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! good advice from patrick, as always. all the best!(y)

5. Saftkalas

Saftkalas New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Small update since last:
    The fuse now sometimes shorts when adjusting the left side mirror as well.
    It did not short since last I changed the fuse in the end of April but today it shorted again when I adjusted the right side mirror.
    This leads me to believe the problem is in the mirror switch/control and not in the specific mirror motor/servos themselves.

Gonna see if I can find some cheap mirror switch and see if that fixes the problem, alternatively, give up and go to a proper mechanic.