1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuse Size for Fuse Tap for Dash Camera

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Melton, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Melton

Melton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want to hard wire a dash cam and want to get a fuse tap for the installation.

Anyone know what size fuses the Gen4 Prius uses? Is it ATM low profile (LP) fuses?

Also for those who have hard wired a dash cam using a fuse tap, what fuse tap did you use, if possible please provide me with a link to what you used or recommend.

Thanks!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, low profile mini ATM like this:

1492143527237.png

3. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same, I got this

not sure if it stripped the link, but you can search this on amazon
    "E Support 12v Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder Pack of 5"

I snipped the ends off and chose to solder it myself.

I think you are in that other thread, but here was the pics and grounding I used are in this post

Hard wiring a dash cam | Page 2 | PriusChat

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The original small fuses are Pacific Engineering Corporation’s BFLP series; see the catalog page, customer drawing, and specifications (in Japanese). These fuses are marked with Yazaki’s ’543 patent, but the blades are slightly wider (10.9 mm) than other low-profile mini blade fuses (10.0 mm), including Yazaki’s own products. I don’t know if the difference in width is practically important.
    When I needed a few hundred milliamperes of unswitched (hot battery) power for an accessory, instead of a fuse tap, I installed a pigtail repair wire (Toyota part number 82998-24290) with a pre-attached 0.64 II [F] terminal in connector 3F, position 9, and added a 5 A fuse (90982-09019) in the corresponding vacant position on the Instrument Panel Junction Block Assembly. I then spliced the accessory’s wire, which had its own in-line fuse of a rating suitable for the accessory and its wiring, to the repair wire. The results are less obtrusive than a fuse tap, and I believe they will also be more reliable.

There were some trade-offs, of course. If the new terminal must ever be removed, I would have to use a terminal removal tool to extract it. I was also careful when handling connector 3F, since the housing is not available as a Toyota service part; if I had damaged it, I might have had to buy a full wiring harness, new or from a junkyard, to get a replacement.

They are for the European version, but these diagrams of the IJB connectors and inner circuits and an old version of the Wire Harness Repair Manual may be of interest. I consider a review of the complete, vehicle-specific Electrical Wiring Diagram (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com or toyota-tech.eu) essential when planning modifications, though.

Note: I don’t know the details of your added load, nor your skills as a technician, so consider the above as general information, not an engineering design. I recommend against modifying your Prius at all, except perhaps by installing Genuine Toyota Accessories.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've installed mini ATM (not low profile) fuses into the fuse slots with no problem as well.

Darien Day likes this.