1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuse tip Broken - Cannot insert new fuse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DrBrian99, May 29, 2020.

1. DrBrian99

DrBrian99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Both fuses for the console and dash sockets blew on a recent trip where my wife and I had way too many things plugged in. There was one extra 15A fuse under the hood, I went to insert it, and it wouldn't go easily. (I've done a few of these lately on my wife's car, her new phone has overloaded the fuse 3x's in a year).

When the fuse wouldn't insert easily I looked at the old fuse and with both fuses the ends broke off. I'm assuming they are still in the fuse box (is that what it's called in the car?), for fuse block?

I tried to zoom in with the camera/phone, but the ones in question do not look any different from the other, empty spaces.

If that's the case, and they are broken off, what's the best was to remove the interior fuse block?

I see the q has been asked, but not answered for that specific problem could be handled differently:
    Any way to remove the fuse box under the instrument panel inside my 05? | PriusChat

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    oof, that could be tough. I believe it is properly called a fuse block, but everyone would know what you meant by 'fuse box.'

I wonder if you'd be able to pull the blade fragment out with a dental pick? After disconnecting the 12v battery, of course.

3. DrBrian99

DrBrian99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I slid a small eyeglass screwdriver in there, nothing fell out and nothing seemed to be in the way.
    Is it possible I'm not using enough force? Changing them in the Honda Element was easy, maybe I'm afraid of pushing too hard and quitting too soon?
    Still, the tips are somewhere, they were not on the floor after pulling out the fuse, I checked there first.