1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fuse/wiring question - installing LED footwell lights :)

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by col127, Jul 19, 2013.

1. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    hi all!

quick question. i bought a LED footwell kit and was planning on *trying* to install it. for reference, this is the kit i bought:
    Expandable Million Color SMD Interior Light Kit

anyways, i bought an "add-a-circuit" to make it easier - basically it allows the kit to plug into an existing fuse (see
    )

i'd like to choose a 'switched' 12V source in the fuse box to connect this to. ideally i'd like to have the interior lights turn on when i switch on my headlights! i don't want the source/fuse i pick to be "always on"

i was looking at the fuse box description in the manual for the driver's side instrument panal - the number 1 - tail - 10A - parking lights, side marker lights, etc. - is that the one i should use? i don't know how A relates to 12V sources... shrugs :p

i don't know anything about wiring, so appreciate the help!

thanks for your help!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The A that you don't know anything about can kill you if you don't know what you're doing... :eek:

It's an abbreviation for amperes or amps, which is a measure of current through a circuit. Unfortunately, that circuit can include you, so make sure you remove power to whatever circuit you are working on or near to prevent any shocking mishaps. ;)

SCH-I535

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have a c, so I can't help you with where you can tap into a power source that's only hot when the headlights are on. However, in the hatchback, there is a brown wire that we tap into when we install our OEM foglights that fits that criteria. Perhaps someone who has installed foglights into their c can chime in and help you out.

SCH-I535

4. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    well there's a fuse for the foglights (15A) - i don't have fog lights on my car so is that something i can tap with the add-a-circuit? i don't know how this stuff works :p

5. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    you can try that spot. yes.

6. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  7. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    so i installed it successfully but if someone can tell me which fuse to tap that will switch off when the car's off, that'd be great. :) at least it works! :)

here's a pic!

Attached Files:

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Look for a fuse for something like seat heater or radio.
    SCH-I535

9. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Squall - do you think the position 1 - 10A would work?

10. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    if that spot is the "TAIL" fuse (i can't confirm as I don't have the manual in front of me).. then i don't see that being a problem.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Take a pic of the fuse box cover and post it, so we can see what's in each position. I think the fuse for the lights is always hot. You need something that's only on in accessory or ignition on.

SCH-I535

12. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i personally tapped into the wires for the light bulb that illuminates the shifter..

seemed much more easier, and it's a central location to branch off both sides of the footwells.. i didn't add an additional switch, but could if i really wanted to... tapped same power source for my cupholder lighting as well.

13. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    here's the pic of the fuse cover. appreciate your help! :)

my preference is to have the led kit turn on when i turn on my headlights - idon't know if that' possible when tapping fuses with my add a circuit thing... if that's not possible, then i just want to tap a fuse that's on a non-critical fuse that is on a switch - so only on when the car is on.

how does this wiring stuff work anyways? the led kit has a 4A fuse on the add a circuit for the fuse + the fuse that your replacing. does that 'overload' the circuit or something?

Attached Files: