1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fusion Hybrid Energi - Very Little Trunk Space

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by cycledrum, Mar 30, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fremont Ford had Fusion Energi that just happened to have its driver's door unlocked in the lot. Quickly found my way to the trunk unlock button to have a look ...

:ROFLMAO: How many people are going to shell out $45k for something that likely won't fit 1 suitcase and certainly won't take in a set of golf clubs?

Things have gotten ridiculous with some cars these days. Geez, at least with Volt and PiP you get a farily normal looking plugin package.

Sadly, it looks like Ford just shoved massive batteries into Fusion, C-Max energi models, disregarding practicality.

2. vdek

vdek New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering I actually own a C-Max Energi, it has plenty of space in the trunk for my purposes.

The Fusion is a different story as it's trunk is highly compromised.

hybridbear and austingreen like this.
  3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fusion Energi has 8 cubic feet of cargo space, maybe enough for some people.

4. acdii

acdii Active Member

Gee if trunk space is the only reason to buy a car, pretty sad! At least the seats fold down!

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In a '12 Acura tsx with 14 cubic ft trunk & fold down rear seats, I can't carry an office chair unless I take it apart.

6. vdek

vdek New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could fit 2 in the C-Max Energi :)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure it's personal preference, but when you buy a larger car, you need/expect a larger trunk. our gen I hycam trunk is compromised, but just large enough to get by. we are looking forward to the increased volume of the gen II.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So does the Accord PHV.

9. acdii

acdii Active Member

You would be surprised what you can fit in these smaller trunks. The thing about the new Fusion trunk is, it may be shallow, but it extends back pretty far. Our old Fusion, never had a time where, oh crap no room.

10. vdek

vdek New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why you get a hatchback style car if you need the space... I do need the space since I move around machine tools every now and then and large parts, along with my bicycle, computer parts, etc. The C-Max Energi has plenty of space for me personally, especially once the seats are folded down.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Compare Side-by-Side

Look at the comparison, the c-max energi's trunk is huge.

Lexus LS hybrid - 10 cubic feet
    Porsche 911 - 5 cubic feet
    C-max energi 19 cubic feet

He he. If your are paying for trunk you probably think that porsche is the worst.:) c-max can swallow a lot of stuff with a rear seat, or the whole rear bench folded down, but it still is larger than most trunks with the seats up.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most households have more than 1 car. Those that can afford a plug in are affluent enough to likely fall within that category. With more than 1 vehicle at their disposal, how much trunk space does the daily commuter really need?

hybridbear likes this.
  13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Parked next to one today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice, great color too.

SCH-I535

hybridbear likes this.
  14. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My son and I just went 7,000 miles across the US, camping etc this August. We did it in our new Fusion Energi. With all the camping stuff + food + water that two adults can carry + trip-accumulated mementoes, the Fusion had room to spare the entire trip. See "Have PiP, bought Ford Fusion" thread elsewhere in this forum.

Son just moved permanently to Louisville KY two weeks ago with the Fusion. Drove there 600+ miles with his best bud. We got a Thule XXL Sonic roof cargo thing, looks like a casket actually: the car's lowered back seats, the trunk and the removable Thule Sonic XXL carried all his stuff with him.

So, by empirical experience, yes, the 2013 Fusion's trunk is "tall and shallow" - and with the foldable rear seats, it's workable for daily life and for long trips as long as a user doesn't try to stuff four adults AND their luggage in there. And really, how often does that happen? If that is an expected load, then buy a minivan.

hybridbear likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hycam has a tiny pass thru opening when you fold the seat down, so i'd say that's pretty good!