1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fusion hybrid rental

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm working in Florida this week and was pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of Fusion hybrids available to rent, so I took one.

I like the way the car drives overall, but it retains all of my (relatively subjective) complaints from the Fusion family:
    • no good colors available
    • Insanely busy/complicated dashboard irritainment system (and this is the latest, greatly improved one!) It feels like an endless stream of interruptive pop-up alerts. And it lacks a "screen off" button.
    • monostable shifter (rotary knob)

But hey, it's kind of cool to see hybrids for rent somewhere other than California or D.C.

On the other hand, the usual reason cars wind up in rental fleets is that they aren't selling well to the public...

#1 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Aaron Vitolins, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably why they are dumping them. i wonder if that's why sales spiked last year.
    too bad they haven't installed the hybrid and plug in versions in the escape

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any PHEV or BEV option for rental?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I seriously wonder if I can buy another car.

Maybe
    the bubble will burst on this screen competition the manufacturers are having. If someone came out with an ergonomic, eyes-on-the-road, retro dash, I'd be there with my check book.

Ah well...

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Talking about the retro dash, I got so used to driving Prius and previous HCH and seeing a digital display of big bold numeric number on the dash indicating how fast I am driving. Now my eyes have to wonder to register the analog speedometer display into my fat brain. I am having a mental block to understand what the moving needle meant with our newly acquired used SUV having a semi-retro dash. :oops:

IMG_20190331_123604.jpg

#5 Salamander_King, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was very encouraged by what I've seen of the VW electric Golf, where this is concerned.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sales to senior citizens would explode!:cool:

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't see any, but I also wasn't looking. I did see an EV charger at the Hertz at LAX a month or two back, but nothing was parked in that stall.

Raytheeagle and Salamander_King like this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The over 900 thousand in sales of F series is the why to your first two statements.

For your third, Ford was in a bad way, and barely avoided the big B themselves. They probably couldn't afford to do three hybrid/PHEVs while also rolling out a new family of turbo engines, and SUVs hadn't made their comeback yet(the current gen Escape is on its 7th year). So the Fusion got it, and C-max was Ford's visible hybrid in the US. Miss the hybrid/Energi badge, and the public could easily forget Ford had a hybrid with just the Fusion and Escape. I still think the last Rangers got that huge blue oval on the tailgate, because Ford got tired of people mistaking them for an Asian brand.

The 2020 Escape does get the hybrids and PHEV option. Some regions may see them in the fall.

Thta's probably why my Camry has a digital speedometer option for the little screen between the analog one and tach.

bisco and Salamander_King like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I actually like the digital speedometer, big letters, easy to see at a glance. Touch screen controls you need to take your eyes off the road to make choices, not so much. Even rows of uniform buttons on the climate control, a fail in my book, lol.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm about ready to stab the touchscreen. Every engine start it wants me to okay a few pages of legalese and find a wifi to get updates.

I'm really glad it's only a week-long rental. It's yet another good car spoiled by a lousy "radio," and it doesn't look easy to swap out.

Ah well, I doubt I would have bought one anyway. Production scheduled to end before I buy next car.