1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fusion (Not Prius) is America's Most Fuel Efficient Car

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SureValla, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While it is true that the United States is a very large country I don't see that as the reason Americans prefer large engines. Americans prefer large engines because it is very inexpensive to operate a vehicle in the US. Americans pay so little for fuel that we have no reason to conserve it.

Lets compare a 2.4L I4 Camry to a 3.6L V6 Camry on Edmunds.com's True Cost to Own. This compares the cost to drive a car 15,000 miles a year for 5 years.

The fuel cost for the 2.4L is $10,189 or 26% of the total cost.
    The fuel cost for the 3.6L is $11,360 or 26% of the total cost.

So it costs an extra $1,171 or $234 per year to have another 100 HP. (That is at $3.40 per gallon)

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, what he/she said.

3. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Please read the entire post. The issue starts with a large country, the remainder of the issue deals with the historical reliability of smaller motors when traveling those large distances and times.

The fact is - you wouldn't be driving those smaller motors a few years ago for 5 years. You'd get 3.5 or 4 out of them - driving at high RPMs for extended periods of time. That's one reason (certainly not the only one), why bigger motors have been historically preferred for the last 50-60 years.

Yes, there are other factors, but so many are quick to jump on one item and think stupidity is involved. That $1171 extra for that 5th year (or beyond) is cheaper than buying a new car at the 4 year mark, or putting $2000 or more into a rebuilt engine (and the bet is if the motor didn't last that long, neither will the tranny or rear-end, or transaxel for a FW drive).

Yes, things have changed recently with 4cyl engines of smaller capacity - but not all that long ago, and it takes time to change over. And, quite honestly, my own experience with smaller engines, etc. is that their mileage isn't all that more significant. I get better mileage in my fullsize pickup with an 8cyl 305 CI engine than most smaller 6cyl pickups with a 230 CI engine of the same vintage (2000 model year).

Again, that's changed recently, but only recently.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I get your point, my old 1990, 2 litre Camry only lasted me 14 years with only maintenance and a water pump replacement, of course it was going strong when I sold it with 300,000km behind it, and several long journeys but yes I see what you mean.
    The 1974 2 litre Corona I had before that only managed something similar although I replaced the timing chain and water pump on that one. I see your point.

For a little while I had a 1992 2 litre Mazda 626, almost used exclusively for long trips by the previous owner, I bought it with 390,000km on the clock in 1999 but it was stolen and crashed. Of course a V8 owner would never see this while having their rattling hydraulic lifters and worn out camshaft replaced.

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I read your whole post.

Small engines have been perfectly capable of lasting more that 100K miles for decades so I guess it depends on your definition of "not that long ago". You may have a point in the 60's and 70's.

6. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As soon as the car magazines get hold of a Gen II Prius and a Fusion hybrid, we'll have a bit better point of comparison, perhaps with a TCH thrown in. Car testers are usually leadfooters, but we'll see which car gets better mileage.
    We like big engines because we have been used to them. No reason a small engine can't go long distances at high speed. I usually travel at 75-80 MPH in my HCH from San Antonio to El Paso. Now if you haul a big trailer you need that bigger engine, especially with the mountains we have here.

I think the biggest problem with the Fusion hybrid will be lack of availability, like with the hybrid Escape/Mariner. With limited production buyers will turn to other hybrid choices.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We prefer big engines for an even more basic reason. We prefer large engines for the same reason other cultures were wasteful. As they've said for thousands of years, "What's the big deal with chopping down every tree you can find?" Er, maybe because if you do, you won't be able to sail off to another area to completely denude?

[​IMG]

Being a basically inconsiderate species, we tend to not even be able to think about our neighbors, much less or grandkid's grandkids.

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've read both, they are excellent books.