1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fusion?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Mendel Leisk, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    fuzzy1 and John321 like this.
  2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I saw that article - it was very interesting.

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like synthetic gasoline, it will probably cost more that wind or solar for many years to come.

Industrializing the process will be very expensive and will require new technological processes not yet developed.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They mention the fuel could be obtained from "sea water". So heavy hydrogen atoms I guess. The object is to recoup more energy, and dollars, than you expend (isn't that everyone's goal :ROFLMAO:).

John321 likes this.
  5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understood it the same way as Mendel - a net energy gain from the reaction - if it works out a dynamic game changer in the energy game where currently you always put in more resources to obtain less energy.

#5 John321, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And a lot less dangerous and dirty than fission.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a start. how long will it take to make it commercially effective, if ever, is anynes guess.
    but better than no start

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 4.23.25 PM.png

This guy had it figured out 50+ years ago but whatever

Rebound, Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Physics - Fusion Turns Up the Heat

A nice technical summary. What I like is feeding the lasers via the ends. The heat and by products have most of a sphere to absorb everything.

Bob Wilson

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That piece exhibits some poor journalism. All its videos and the illustration are strictly about the Tokamak machines: Joint European Torus in the UK, and ITER in France, which use magnetic confinement of a plasma in a large torus.

Today's announcement was about the National Ignition Facility (NIF) in the U.S., using the very different method of laser inertial confinement, compressing a tiny fuel pellet. While described near the article's end, it is not illustrated.

I find it wonderful that both methods have made great progress recently. The UK machine set a new performance record a year ago: An artificial sun briefly blazed under the English countryside.

The UK machine seems to still hold the record for the most energy produced in a run, 59 MJ over 5 seconds, but it was still only 1/3rd the energy put in to the reaction, so didn't break even. This new NIF produced about 3 MJ output for 2 MJ input, finally beating breakeven by one measure.

Though by another measure, that 2 MJ is just the energy of the laser light that hit the target pellet carrier and compressed the fuel. It took more than 400 MJ to charge the lasers.

Also, a caveat on the claims that fusion energy will be "clean". In reality, it provides energy by spewing out neutrons and other particles, which are absorbed and converted to heat in the walls of the containment vessel, then will make steam to drive turbines. The good news is that the fusion reaction's exhaust products are not radioactive, a big improvement over today's fission reactors where the reaction product is very radioactively hot.

The bad news is that the neutron irradiation of the containment vessel will make it radioactive, and therefore a future waste disposal problem. This shouldn't be nearly as bad as today's fission waste, but it will still be a problem, more so than most news articles admit.

#10 fuzzy1, Dec 13, 2022
  11. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    A fusion reaction is nothing new on Earth, the problem with developing fusion reactors to produce electricity is the HEAT generated in the process. This is one of those times of people getting excited over something that has been done before but still isn’t feasible with our current technology.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A fusion reaction emitting a bit more energy than was needed to instigate it is something new on Earth though, so even if it's still just a step along the way, it's a kind of exciting one.

Engineering challenges include not just the HEAT but also the pesky neutrons, as fuzzy1 commented. If I remember right, beyond making the containment vessel walls radioactive, it can also embrittle some materials.

Rebound, Zythryn and fuzzy1 like this.
  13. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    “Nuclear” fusion isn’t the same as the “nuclear” energy you are used to. Two hydrogen atoms are combined resulting in helium and heat; where in fission, radioactive materials (usually uranium, even plutonium) are split apart releasing the energy (and much less than in the fusion process).
    Most people confuse the fusion process with the Hydrogen Bomb that used a fission reaction to ignite the fusion process. What occurred in this “breakthrough” was using lasers to ignite the process. The embrittlement that you are remembering is a result of the extremely high temperatures that are generated by a fusion reaction (reaction here is not what most people think of when they see the word “reaction” ie: “nuclear FISSION reaction that releases energy and elements that are radioactive”), it is the result (reaction) of combining two or more elements. And it has been done before on earth. To understand it you have to understand particle physics, and physics in general (something not taught in the US public school system anymore).

Montgomery likes this.
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I agree with @fuzzy1 assessment that magnetic confinement is a bit further along. And that we are nowhere near the coda. But those gigalasers still seem kinda cool.

Doug McC likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding has always been that the embrittlement is from the neutrons themselves, as Chapman described, not from the high temperatures. The pressure vessels of fission reactors suffer the same type of problem, even when no hotter than pressurized boiling water, typically 290ºC.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_embrittlement

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nuclear fission produced electricity on a kW scale just 9 years after the first controlled sustained reaction, or 6 years after the first uncontrolled explosion as a weapon. Utility scale electricity followed just 3 years later in the Soviet Union, or powering the town of Arco Idaho 4 years later.

The first fusion chain reaction was uncontrolled, a record-setting bomb. 70 years later, we've been able to create a controlled reaction only comparatively recently, sustain it multiple (5) seconds only very recently, and reach energy break-even (by a very loose definition) only last week.

No existing fusion machine, not even the under-construction ITER, can generate electricity. I have no idea when fusion-powered electricity will be demonstrated, let alone delivered.

17. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    In order to use it to provide steam to drive a turbine and a electrical generator, we first have to actually control the process (ironically, humanity faced the same problem when trying to harness steam power from wood). The additional problem we face with fusion is the extreme heat generated from the fusion of the two elements, which is much greater than the fission of two elements. Plus the extreme energy required to force the two elements together (fusion).
    Don’t get me wrong, the problems are not insurmountable, and fusion power is much better than fission for the purpose. My point is everyone is getting excited over a very tiny step in the process, and acting like it’s never been done before.

Montgomery likes this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While I confess that I had those classes in a private high school and a private college, I'm pretty sure many people emerge from public high schools and universities understanding them even better than I do (not a really high bar).

The stuff I remember about neutron embrittlement jibes with what fuzzy1 remembers.

Well, that's the key in the current news cycle. Forcing the two together (with extreme energy) and fusing them is the part that's been done before. Getting more energy back out than you spent forcing them together, that's the new thing.

And it's a pretty encouraging new thing. Without being able to do that it, fusion wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

#18 ChapmanF, Dec 13, 2022
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In the distant future there will (may?) be a 1000 megawatt fusion reactor for electrical generation. Typical size of large fossil-fueled units now. It would obtain 1000 megawatts by fusing 100 kg of deuterium (2H isotope) with 150 kg of tritium (3H isotope). Some megawatts will be required to 'put the squeeze on' that DT, I can't guess that.

100 kg of deuterium is contained in a bit less than 18 million liters of water. Seawater or 'fresh'; doesn't matter. Seawater is mentioned in links above so maybe somebody has reason to suppose that is the better source. It sets my mind a thinkin. If seawater is already being desalinated, its deuterium will be concentrated on the 'reject water side'. So, maybe that's a play. There are several ways to extract deuterium, each requires some energy, and I do hope somebody has worked those out.

150 kg of tritium is a different matter. It is a radioactive isotope with 12 (ish) year half-life. So you must make your own. It can be 'conveniently' (so I read) produced by neutron irradiation of lithium. Not all lithium production needs to be used for EV transportation right? Or, for more fun, take end-of-life lithium batteries, hit them with neutrons (if you got 'em) and capture tritium as it diffuses away. Anyway, 150 kg of tritium must be sourced for each 1000 megawatts this fusion reactor will supply.

But let optimism flow. Squeeze is made with magnets or lasers. Your device is generating much heat! Transfer that heat with a working fluid (probably water) to turbine generators, and many megawatts become yours to sell. And to continue to sell, as long as you supply deuterium and tritium.

You (not you reading, exactly) have made a new type of thermal power plant, just as dependent on working-fluid (water) supply as the fossil-based ones, that are widely seen as troublesome throughout the fossil supply chain. It 'boils down' to water supply. Such cannot be built where water supplies are already contested for agriculture, industry, direct human use, or (dare I say it) biodiversity. A persistently wet place is needed,

==
    So, yeah, late this century or early next, make these fusion miracles as well as your granchildren can. Put them in places lacking water-supply conflicts, and string long electrical-supply lines to population (energy-demand) centers where water-supply conflicts already exist. They will be competing for big-money investors against wind and solar, which already perform.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are these units missing a time dimension? 1000 megawatt ... ⋅seconds? ⋅hours?

I am here making a brazen play to avoid doing the math myself.

fuzzy1 likes this.