1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Future Hybrid owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kronos89, Mar 14, 2013.

1. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi guys, i am sorry if this question has been asked before, but couldn't find it. I am looking to purchase either a prius or a camry hybrid. I test drove a prius today and noticed it does have some pick up- and power. However, am i gonna be severely under power if i am with 4 passengers and have the AC running?
    Which car should i choose, its going to be my first hybrid.

Thank you.

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have driven the Prius with four large adults and 2-weeks worth of luggage on a road-trip last summer for 4200 miles.

I did not notice any lack of performance.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...that is a hard choice because the latest Camry Hybrid has been getting good reviews. Prius may get slight edge still but the choice is getting harder. Sounds like you may prefer Camry for power and comfort but Prius probably still more flexible for loading stuff in there, and maybe have some safety advantages with some of the new tests.

4. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you are routinely going to be hauling four adults in the car, then I would certainly go with the Camry hybrid.

We bought one (briefly) last year, but the thing had a severe fluke of an inverter issue and the dealership took the car back. Since I was more comfortable with the Prius anyway, I went with the Pri.

The loaded Camry XLE was however an extremely SWEET ride. Really, too much pampering for my tastes. And I am so obsessive about fuel economy that I wasn't willing to sacrifice ~10 mpg for the more plush ride.

The Prius can feel underpowered when you are just beginning to drive it, due to the accelerator being set up to be less responsive. But even as a pretty aggressive driver, in the ten months I've driven it there has not been a case when I couldn't get in or out of a pocket due to the car's power.

So it really depends on what your priorities are, and how often you anticipate driving fully-loaded.

Either vehicle is an excellent option.

5. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for your quick responses, i won't be with 4 adults and loaded all the time. Maybe it just takes getting used to, because on the test drive i hit the power mode and the thing just took off.. One of my concerns was to think i would find myself in power mode all the time and hurt fuel economy. I mean i am coming from a 2000 nissan altima and its not the fastest car around.

ralleia likes this.
  6. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you felt fine with the amount of acceleration in the Prius in "Power" mode, then the Prius should suit you fine.

Power mode doesn't actually give you any more power--it just changes the responsiveness of the accelerator.

So if you bought the Pri and started driving it, then you would adapt in a week or two to the accelerator setting in the Prius.

Once you are adapted, then ECO mode will feel fine to you. The acceleration off stops in a Prius can be quite brisk, since 100% of the torque from the electric motor is available IMMEDIATELY off idle, unlike the gas engine that has to reach higher rpms to provide full torque.

It's quite a capable and compact transportation device.

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could never adapt to the Eco mode feel. Normal mode is the best for me. It was a good thing the OP discovered Power mode when test driving. When I was test driving mine, the dimwit dealer had it in Eco mode and I totally hated the test drive until I discovered the Power mode.

It's amazing how the gas pedal adjustment can transform the car feel. Many car makers made their cars feel faster purely by this non-linear adjustment. IMHO, Every car should have those user selectable settings.

By the way. I do have 4 people in my car from time to time and it's never an issue with lack of power.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't notice a lack of power, but the Eco/Power zone threshold on the displays means I notice the small difference in how much gas you need to give it with just a 2nd person in the car.

My wife drives in Power mode as that's the closest in feel to the Civic she usually drives and she likes that she doesn't have to push the gas pedal as far.

I drive in Eco as I like the fine control to help me maximize fuel economy. I can drive in normal mode (and occasionaly do after forgetting to put it in Eco after a driver switch) but Power mode is just way too imprecise for my liking.

9. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ECO mode *is* the normal mode--it is the default when you power up the car.

That is, unless there was a change between the 2010 and the 2012 model.

The normal mode on my 2012 Prius is ECO. If I want something else I have to change to EV or Power.

10. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's right.

11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Luckily, the AC compressor in the Gen III Prius runs off electric power- so no engine power loss is felt.

ralleia likes this.
  12. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Great! that's what i wanted to know. i mean for non hybrid cars once u turn the AC on, they get really slow because of te extra load.
    Another concern is how low does it get when u add 4 adults and cargo, i have seen in this forum of problems with the oil pan cover been of poor quality and come off in the third generation prius. Has this issue been resolved for 2013, any of you new owners out there?

13. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010's default is normal mode, not ECO, so Toyota must have changed it.

14. Dan4500

Dan4500 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

15. Dan4500

Dan4500 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I now have 5000 miles (6 months) on a 2012 Prius Two after having driven my sister's hybrid Camry San Diego/LA roundtrip and San Diego/Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/San Diego last year. Got around 40 mpg in the Camry. Slightly over 50 in the Prius.
    I would think the Prius may be tight for 4 adults, but it has slightly more room for luggage even with the back seat used. The Camry sacrifices a lot of trunk space for the battery. Could only get one large suitcase in the trunk. But passenger room and comfort is like a regular Camry. It certainly has the power of a regular Camry.

Overall am happy with the Prius, but we're only 2 adults. So folding the back seats gets a super large cargo capacity. I think the Prius has more detailed instrumentation reports/displays but not sure as I did not thoroughly research the Camry as I have the Prius. If you have a technical bent/interest (me), there's a lot more chatter re the Prius on the Web. I was able to figure how to add a backup cam from Prius Chat. (Posted my findings)

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll be a happy camper.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the oil change cover doesn't come off from scraping the ground, it comes off because of the poor design and difficulty reattaching it properly after an oil change. there is a tsb, hopefully improved on new models.

17. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks guys, i am waiting till the end of the month, hopefully i can get a good deal.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note - 2012 Camry hybrid was all new redesign with big improvements to trunk space, power, interior space and went from 34 mpg comb in 2011 model to 41 for 2012 (LE hybrid). Dan above mentioned small trunk on sister's Camry hybrid, but that may have been a 2011 or older, don't know.

kronos, I didn't try loading the Camry hybrid trunk when renting, but have a couple hundred miles in it and 1 1/2 years in 3rd gen Prius. It appears could fit a couple suitcases and bags in Camry hybrid trunk, but no doubt, it's over 2 cu ft smaller than non hy Camry. Prius is clear winner in Cargo flexibility and fuel economy. But, the difference is only about 2 gallons more to refill Camry hybrid after 450 miles.

Prius is not nearly as powerful as Camry hybrid. Cam Hy has 50% more HP, but only weighs 13% more than Prius. I don't know what kind of hills you have, but I've had 4 adults in my Prius while climbing steeper freeway grades. There are 2 choices here, either slow down to about 60 mph, maybe little under, or if you want to hold 65+ mph up the grade, I think you will be hearing the engine quite a bit. Test drive Prius, give it a bunch of throttle, you'll know what I mean.

Even Consumer Reports mentions engine noise. google - Toyota Prius Consumer Reports watch video.

Camry Hybrid can blast over steep grades at 70 mph and make quick work of it. No engine drama. When warmed up, the fuel economy gage has shown me over 43 MPG, that's the base LE model with 16" wheels. When I returned the Cam Hy rental this week, 45.8 on gage. My Prius is reading about 53 at the moment.

Camry hybrid is reliably more quiet inside. Prius cabin noise is decent on very smooth freeway pavement, but hit the rougher pavement and noise levels get high.

Camry hybrid feels much more like a 'normal' car to me to be in. Prius is definitely 'different' and futuristic.

If looking at the Camry Hybrid LE, take note it only has a manual adjustable driver's seat. For me, seat bottom is too flat and just would not work over long run. No option for power seat in LE hyb. Have to get XLE. Base XLE is about $1500 or so more and loses 1 MPG combined.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. Normal mode is when none of the driving mode buttons are pressed. If you see green driving mode icon on display, press that button again to really be in Normal mode.

Difference in driving modes is -Prius will power back up in ECO mode if shut off in ECO mode, but will not power up in PWR mode if shut off in PWR mode. EV mode button is virtually useless - IMO it was merely a presursor to the EV/HV button in plug in Prius.

20. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for the advise Cycledrum, i am going to test drive both tomorrow, however i been researching both cars, and while i will be using the car for business, roughly 500 miles a week i do wish for a nice comfortable ride. There will be instances where i will be hauling 4 people and some equipment in the trunk, not so heavy though, but requires space. After all the comments and advices i am coming to the conclusion the prius seems to be the way for me to go since it has more space and a little more mileage. I will be giving the camry and prius a good test drive this weekend to make up my mind.