1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Future new Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 2clicker, Mar 12, 2013.

1. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hey folks, new member and recent lurker here looking to purchase a new Prius in the next month or so. im coming from the Jeep world and know little about the Prius and would love some guidance.

so ive been looking at the dif reg prius models and cant decide which to get. which ones are most recommended? i can probably afford up to a 4, but would love to save money if the 4 isnt really much different than the 2 or 3. or if it is much different then hopefully the differences are things that can be added at a later time...?

also, are there any models that are better for modding for any reason? i figured probably not, but couldnt hurt to ask. im going to be looking at the suspension first. ive got a lot of reading to do, but if anyone can point me in the direction of quality aftermarket parts that would be great.
    so yeah any help is appreciated! i posted this in this thread because of my Jeep modding past. i have a feeling that almost all of my forum activity will be in the modding forum.

this looks like a great place and look forward to being a part of it.

JMD likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like my Prius v, I liked the Prius I had before that. never the less, the Prius is not for everyone, so I wrote a post about who would not like a Prius.

considering a Prius | PriusChat

So many more Liftbacks are sold than c, v, or PHV Prius, that the broadest after market will be for the Liftback. (so you can ruin the Mileage if you choose)

2010 & 2011 Toyota Prius Accessories & Car Parts: Side Body Moldings, Cargo Mats, Mud Flaps, Bumper Protectors, All-Weather Floor Mats
    http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Toyota/Prius

PRIUS PERFORMANCE - WWW.XVIPERS.COM

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    a 4 gets you Homelink Mirror, Imitation leather seats, power driver's seat HUD and for more detail go to the Toyota web site. I bought a 2 now I regret not getting a 4, if that's any help.

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How much do you drive a day?

What state do you live in.

You should read up on the PIP or plugin Prius.

There are some generous federal rebates, and some state rebates, and possible access to car pool lanes.

The Pip owners seem to be very satisfied.

Toyota Prius Plug-in 2013 | Mid-size Hybrid Car

5. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks Jimbo! i will check out your post. even though im coming from a jeep im about 100% sure im ready to go prius. at least for my daily driver. i may keep my jeep, but im looking for a great ride with all the mpgs i can get. i will be looking at upgrading wheels/tires, suspension, and audio for sure. i dont want to spend more on extras that ill be upgrading later anyways.

MP, what is the homelink mirror all about? not worried about seat material as i will be covering all seats with neoprene seat covers. i really love the idea of financing a 2 over a 4... but if the 4 is def worth it then i will give it more thought.

now we are digging in! depends on the day. sometimes its 15-20 a day sometimes its 50-70. this is all during the week.

im in St. Louis MO.

i have been interested in the PIPs but dont have a garage. ive got off street parking, but its not covered.

thanks for the replies everyone! ive got more research to do.

6. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2clicker,
    I had a 2010 III that got totaled, then bought a 2013 4. Both have the sun/solar roof panel which I really like. The other option that the 4 has DRL (LED) and automatic headlights. I definitely think the extra for the 4 is worth it. I was also able to transfer quite a bit a addons from the the 2010. Window vents, TRD rear sway bar, Cusco under body brace. I plane to add the strut tower brace once the temp is warmer in Minnesota. Good luck!!!

7. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks! im not sure im aware of the DRL and auto headlights you're talking about... ill have to look into that.

this will be my first car in a long time and the first ive had since actually wrenching on my own vehicles. ill probably be going with 16" or 17" wheels and dont really want much gap so thinking of lowering it.

first things first though... wheel and tire package... where do i look?

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mostly used as a garage door opener, you can use it to start other electrical loads in the house, but garage doors is 99% of what they are used for.

2clicker likes this.
  9. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well looks like im going to have to buy sooner rather than later. dont ask :(. so after crunching some more numbers and a little more thought i think im going for a 3, maybe a 2 if i like it. i may be test driving very soon and possibly signing papers within a week or so.

im hoping the dealership/s will have all the dif reg prius models on hand to check out. maybe drive a couple dif models. we will see. i do know that i want to get some nice wheels. i havent seen all that are offered stock, but im guessing im going to want something aftermarket. probably 16"-17".

ill be sure to post pics once it all gets started.

JMD likes this.
  10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats!

2clicker likes this.
  11. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC! Here's a good thread on wheels for the Prius: Gen III aftermarket wheel thread...post your pictures | PriusChat

I would recommend going to tirerack.com and checking out their selection. They have a configurator on their site that'll display a picture of the wheel on the Prius. Discount Tire is another site that seem to be popular.

2clicker likes this.
  12. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Consider the Persona addition, then you won't need aftermarket wheels, or seatcovers, sounds like a perfect fit for you. The Personna is basically a 3 with 17inch wheels and softex seats.

2clicker likes this.
  13. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    check out truecar.com for invoice prices. then get all the internet sales dept to give you best lowest price on exactly what model color package etc.

the biggest decision i had to make was between 3 vs 4 for the power 8 way adjustable seats (including lumbar support). sit in a 3 or 4 to find out if this is going to be an issue with you. most people say that you can't tell unless you've been in the car for at least an hour.

does st. louis get hot? im in socal. so i only looked at the 3 with solar roof and 4 with solar roof. its a nice feature for hot climates.

if you decided on getting a liftback, then i recommend getting Rude person's's center brace as your first suspension mod. Private sales section. he only has two left. he won't make anymore until sept/oct. plus, its relatively cheap. good to great reviews here.

once you get your car, head on over to the mod threads
    other mods
    turn mirror signal led lights
    lowering: springs vs coilovers. for springs, you have your choice of trd plus, tein, tanabe, h? and few others.
    front brace
    strut tower bar - tanabe vs cusco
    full led tail lights - valenti, specD
    wheels/rims
    tint

14. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

yeah ive been all over that thread. i have also been on tirerack and have seen a few wheels i like. im really looking for a low maintenance wheel, but a nice looking one. im thinking im going winter grey color wise for the prius and thought a grey wheel may do the trick. something like this: 2013 Toyota Prius Three (<---switch prius to winter grey)

i have been considering it. i hope the dealerships have an assortment to check out.

thanks. st. louis can get pretty damn hot in the summer. super thick humid kind of hot. i think the solar roof is def on my list if i can swing it. and yeah def going liftback.

what about stuff like remote start? should i get it as an option or just have a kit installed later? i have decided that it is a must. is something like that more expensive from the stealerships?

thanks for all the help everyone.

15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    great package and as that quote goes.. "you can choose any color you like as long as it's" black, cherry or white.. if all goes well I will be grabbing mines today. From what a few dealers told me, it's a limited edition and they already stopped production!

JMD likes this.
  16. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    went to the dealership today and checked out a new 3 with solar roof... LOVE IT! likely going to be pulling the trigger sometime this coming week.

thanks for the help everyone.

the dealer was telling me how expensive the stock wheels are and that any after market wheel should be considered "cheap" compared to it. the stock wheels looked a little cheap IMO... black wheel with a grey plastic cover on it...? i gotta get some wheels.

17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    That's why I had to get it with 17's. only problem is that's only offered on the Persona or package 5. Neither of those cars you can sunroof.

JMD likes this.
  18. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so what if i wanted to sell the stock wheels... is there a market for a new set of these?

19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    There's always a market for anything!

20. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If I had to guess ,stock Prius wheels would be a step up for Yaris owners.