1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Future of Prime if EV batteries get two times better

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Northerner, May 2, 2023.

1. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was listening to an interview on this podcast:
    https://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcasts/episode-927
    Jon Bornstein of Amprius Technologies said they were already shipping new silicon/Li batteries for use in making drones that have twice the energy density and much faster charging speeds of batteries currently in Teslas. He thought they’d be going into cars by around 2026.
    As much as I love my 2020 Prime, this interview really made me think that quick-charging 500-600 mile range really might be possible for EV’s in the not-to-distant future!
    I’d be interested in hearing other’s thoughts. It’s not really actionable, yet, form a car ownership perspective -but it seems like even the Prime’s days might be numbered.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Batteries that work for a drone may not have the characteristics needed to work in a plug in car. The cost and difficultly of replacing the drone battery is a far cry from that of an EV's. That CATL announce a new battery with twice the density of today's EV cells that they plan to have in production for EVs in a year. Thread here somewhere.

The 500 mile range is requirement put forth by those that don't want to give up their ICE. When the 500 mile EV arrives, they'll want 1000 miles. The trip to my parents is 600 miles. being careful, I could do it without refueling my current gasser. I would not be able to drive those 10 hours without stopping though. So why not refuel when I do?

What will some one with a 500 mile BEV do after arriving at their destination? Wait over a day to charge their car. A fast charger capable of charging at times as quickly as current BEVs can see is going to cost more and require more robust electric supply, which means higher charging fees.

What such a battery advance will actually mean for plug in cars is that BEV ranges won't improve much from today, but the efficiency and packaging of the car will improve with a smaller, lighter battery. Maybe even lower prices. The difference will be more seen in PHEVS. There will be more of the extended range EV type that only need the engine for trips.

Zythryn likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's hard to predict the future

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically a 500 mile fast charging EV exists today - Lucid Air in Grand Touring form. 300kW DCFC.

That said, the range test seems vary wildly as Tom got 500 miles out of a Dream Edition but Kyle "only" got 435 miles out of a Grand Touring. Both had the same 19" wheels.