1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Future Plug-in Telematics Features?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Prius Team, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not $50.. but eBay has them from time to time for around $100 shipped

2. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just looked on Craig's list, found a individual parting out a 2010 Prius, he sold me a Never used doughnut fo $ 50.00.

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys we have a FAQ related to spare tires, including how to get cheap donuts. Please let's keep this thread on topic.

cwerdna likes this.
  4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a spare tire app. :D

Andyprius1 and lensovet like this.
  5. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Based on the Advanced model that we own:

1- The entire system is too slow on boot up. Data entry on GPS system has a noticeable lag from pushing a button to system response.

2- When searching for a POI (e.g., McDonalds) along the route - would suggest that system be "smarter" and show POIs which are near the route and not PRECISELY on the route. Imagine a McDonalds a couple of blocks off of the freeway that we are traveling on... As of now, system will only consider a store which is on the route (of course, there are no McDonalds on the freeway itself...)

lensovet and 3PriusMike like this.
  6. saltybp

saltybp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had posted on another thread the issue I had with GPS (I have the Std model). The NAV system on my 2005 Honda is vastly better than the 2012 Prius

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You know when you enter a zip code, most of the time after entering 4 digits, it gives a matching list to choose. Sometimes, I have to enter all 5 digits. Then it asked me to select the zip code I just entered. Unnecessary step as I entered the entire zip code already. :mad:

lensovet likes this.
  8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the GPS is a piece of junk.

9. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Display Cloning.
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could selectively display our electronic devices screens on the built-in display maybe wirelessly? No more outdated GPS plus being able to view info like Torque or weather that we want to see. Bidirectional functionality so we could still use the built-ins touch screen but also use a mouse or joy stick like the RX450h has. I'm thinking Bluetooth apps for Win, IOS, and Droid. This system would be as up to date as we keep our devices. My version of Sync or Entunes or whatever will always be better, cheaper and more reliable than what the auto companies can build-in.

10. pip2012

pip2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My biggest desires would be:

1. text message when finished charging or unplugged even on the base model.
    2. ability to upload past driving history (trip length, mileage, charging history - including KWh) so I can put it in a spreadsheet. I would like this to include state of charge of battery over time if possible.
    3. ability to upload or access the exact reason the ICE came on for any reason - a history of reasons would be great. i.e. "date, time: ICE on because of acceleration"; "date, time: ICE on because battery too full and regen energy bleed necessary". I'd like to see any and all reasons for the ICE coming on in this uploaded history.
    4. ability to send a destination to the gps via email, text message, or blue tooth and have the in car gps set that up as the destination. Basically, why do I have to go google something and then manually enter the address/destination into the car? (this is a sort of reverse telemetrics - not car to me, but me to car)
    5. text message when car broken into (i.e. text message from car alarm)
    6. all of these on the base model in addition to the advanced model
    7. maybe consider secure password based text message/web URL to unlock the car if I lost my keys. I have mixed feelings about this one because it's a security hole but maybe it can be figured out in a way that is secure. Again, this is a reverse telemetrics/control kind of thing.

11. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    I won't get into specific feature requests- I'm sure toyota can figure things out (maybe leave it open to allow developers to present things you don't think of?)

What I would ask for is that you do put a HEAVY EMPHASIS on telematics. We live in a digital world and your future car buyers will have grown up with a touch screen on their hands. It is incredibly frustrating to spend 20-30k on a vehicle that has the software capabilities of a 2002 Nokia phone. HIRE successful hardware and software developers. UI delays, bad color and design decisions, and clunky software are no longer acceptable.

Make the telematics standard in the PIP, and an option for hybrids. Please make it relatively affordable and do not bundle it with other things. I don't want to get a sunroof to have my car tell me where it is parked.

3PriusMike and lensovet like this.
  12. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The technical problem is that to do these functions, the car needs a connection to the Internet that is not dependent on your personal smartphone, which presumably would not be left in the car when you leave it. The Advanced has a built-in cell phone for the Safety Connect feature, which the existing telematics functions use. Perhaps this should be an option on all (most) models, like OnStar is for GM cars.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ability to perform partial charge or control with a phone. Some of the PiP owners living on top of the hill are getting unnecessary engine starts due to braking on a full battery.

This may not be a telematic feature but it would be great if the vehicle displays the reason why the gas engine started. This would eliminate a lot of question on this board. :D

14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Erica, I want Toyota to get on board with Apple's iOS in the car ecosystem. Today.

Tracksyde likes this.