1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Future Toyota Integrated Safety Systems (2018 Edition)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Link to 2015 Edition |
    -------------------------------
    Toyota City, Japan, November 29, 2017―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) will further contribute to accident reduction by progressively rolling out the second-generation Toyota Safety Sense―enhanced from the set of active safety packages first introduced in 2015―in its lineup from 2018.

Toyota Safety Sense is a set of active safety packages developed to reduce accidents guided by the concept of supporting drivers under the assumption that they will drive safely, and at the same time, mitigating damage should an accident occur. It comprises several functions, and its key features include the following:

• Pre-Collision System (PCS), which helps prevent and mitigate collisions with vehicles and pedestrians ahead
    • Lane Departure Alert (LDA), which helps prevent vehicles from departing from their lanes
    • Automatic High Beam (AHB), which helps ensure optimal forward visibility during nighttime driving
    The second-generation Toyota Safety Sense being rolled out in 2018 will continue to utilize the single-lens camera and millimeter-wave radar currently used in Toyota Safety Sense P. It will be further enhanced with the following to prevent accidents and reduce the number of deaths and injuries from traffic accidents, and ease driver burden:

• Expansion of the scope of hazard detection, and improving functionality such as through improvements to the performance of the camera and radar
    • Utilization of the advanced driving support feature Lane Tracing Assist (LTA)
    • Reduction of the size of the unit to improve ease of installation

Here are the press releases:

US:
    Toyota Expanding its Industry-Leading Safety Technology Package with Second Generation Toyota Safety Sense™ | Toyota USA Newsroom

Canada:
    Toyota Expanding Its Industry-Leading Safety Technology Package with Second Generation Toyota Safety Sense™ | Toyota Canada

Global (Toyota)
    Toyota to Roll Out 2nd Generation Toyota Safety Sense
    Active Safety Packages from 2018 | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

Global (Lexus)
    Lexus to Roll Out 2nd Generation Lexus Safety System +
    Active Safety Packages from 2018 | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

1. Pre-Collision System with Cyclist Detection and Nighttime Pedestrian Detection

2. Road Sign Assist

• Key road signs are read by the camera and displayed in the instrument panel.
    • This feature supports even safer driving by helping to reduce the possibility of overlooking speed limits and traffic rules, such as stop signs, no entry signs, and no overtaking signs.

3. Advanced Driving Support Features

Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) has been newly adopted to achieve such aims as easing driver burden and improving convenience.
    • It keeps the vehicle in the center of a lane by assisting the driver in steering control when using Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. By accruing features such as Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, driver burden can be reduced in locations such as expressways, allowing drivers to drive with greater ease.
    • LTA also comes with Lane Departure Alert (LDA). With the ability to recognize shoulders on straight roads without white lane markings, it gives alerts when deviating off roads, and assists in regaining track.

Lane Departure Alert (updated) enhanced with “road edge detection” to increase the vehicle’s ability to help drivers stay in their lane

USA/Canada Safety Package Comparison

TSS-C (Certain current models) TSS-P (Certain current models) TSS (Beginning mid-2018 in certain models)
    • Pre-Collision System
    • Lane Departure Alert
    • Auto High Beams
    • Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection function
    • Lane Departure Alert (available with Steering Assist function on certain models)
    • Auto High Beams
    • Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (Full-Speed Range available on certain models)
    • Pre-Collision System with Day/Night Pedestrian Detection function and Day Bicycle Detection function
    • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
    • Lane Tracing Assist
    • Road Sign Assist
    • Auto High Beams
    • Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (excluding manual transmission vehicles) with enhanced forward recognition and acceleration/deceleration

Japan Safety Package Comparison

[​IMG]

#1 Tideland Prius, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    RCO and Spindifferent like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is GOOD news although too late for the Wilson family. Except for improved night operation, I saw this in 2009 at the Detroit auto show. The lane keep assist trail Tesla’s offering.

Bob Wilson

3. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's always nice to see upgrades to TSS-P, even though it makes me wish I could get them. Sounds like they're using the Japanese videos, the driver's on the right, and there's that nice bright Ryuichi Sakamoto-like music.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The obvious question is what Toyota models will get this, facelift models, complete new models or just some of the new models? How long will old style TSS-P and C stay in production, some models just got out, will those be without new system for 4 years?

I like the fact that all cars with new TSS will have Dynamic radar cruise control (DRCC), but sadly LTA will be available only on some models, why that decision? The hardware is all the same, may as well make it $200 option on ALL cars, I know I would buy it.

Today there is a little confusion what TSS covers, you must always check, because AHB, pedestrian detection, DRCC, RSA are not on all models, I hope that Toyota gets this right and future TSS means the same thing on all models, for now only LTA sadly falls out but I hope others will all be there in one system.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a good question. I'm guessing they'll come during midlife updates or full refreshes.

Soo.... the Camry may not get it because it was just launched this year.

But the RAV4 may since we're expecting a new model for 2019.

Something like the Prius is a toss-up. It's due for a midlife update in 2019 so it may or may not get TSS 2.0.

Also, LTA is probably reserved for the more expensive models.

For example, the current RAV4 has TSS-P but its DRCC is not full-speed.

The 2018 Camry has two versions of TSS-P - lower models have regular DRCC and higher end models have full-speed DRCC.

6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Europe new Auris (Corolla iM) will be introduced in 2018 for 2019 model year based on TNGA platform and I hope two hybrid power options.

I hope Toyota makes it right and gives new models fully featured TSS, except LTA.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is there an update version for 2017 car?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlikely. So far, only Tesla does software updates to major components. (Ford & Toyota just do software updates to the infotainment system(

RCO likes this.
  9. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That’s a bummer.

10. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    reposado likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly, there there is no word about Corolla Hybrid in US.

pilotgrrl likes this.