1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

G1 versus 2010 driving impressions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hybridtwins, Mar 28, 2009.

1. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Would anyone who has been lucky enough to have driven both the Classic and 2010 models care to give their relative driving impressions?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well if Team Prius would visit Decatur Alabama, I'm sure a Classic driver might fill in this gap. <grins>

Bob Wilson

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Patience.

I about 2 months, I'll have my 2010 and get together with a friend who has an Iconic model and another that has a Classic. Plus, I've driven each for a combined total of 8.5 years.

Question is, what do you want to know?

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a Classic and a Gen 2, and drove the 2010 in LA. I don't drive the Classic as much now, but did put the first ~25-30,000 miles on it before handing it to my wife when the 2004 arrived.

Nothing will beat the classic turning circle. Gen3 w/ 15" wheels felt tighter than the Gen2, but one would have to compare specs.

Both Gen 2 and Gen3 aren't as great on accelerator response as the classic - likely due to the up-conversion that HSD uses vs. direct battery voltage to the motors.

ECO mode in the 2010 is slightly less sensitive than the classic accelerator pedal. Gen 2 made the accelerator more logrithmic (more sensitive), and Gen 3's normal mode felt the same as Gen2.

Both Gen 2 and Gen 3 have more oomph than the classic Prius, though punching it from a stand-still comes w/ a slight delay as the engine and MG1 spool up. Classic always came practically instantly, and I still miss that direct feeling response.

Both Gen 2 and Gen 3 have more "trunk"/cargo space than the classic Prius. W/o folding seats, there's just not much you can do. However, you should have seen what we've crammed into the classic Prius when it was my primary car (it now belongs to the Mrs.).

Gen 2 and I imagine Gen 3 have much improved recommended maintenance intervals with the exception of engine oil. No need to flush coolant or tranny fluid every 30k, but I'd stick w/ 60k on the tranny fluid despite the no change recommendation based on our Gen2 experience. Classic has 30 or 60k mile plug intervals, Gen2 has 120k mile, and I'd venture to guess Gen3 does as well.

Both Gen2 and Gen3 don't have visible external battery vents to worry about avoiding pressuirzed water entery with.

Both Gen2 and Gen3 have much improved mileage and power displays, Gen3 moreso than Gen2.

Both Gen2 and Gen3 have much improved audio systems. Dual-cone speakers are gone in lieu of real tweeters, and both latter generations have optional external amps included w/ the JBL system.

Both Gen2 and Gen3 have a more usable tire size that will yield a more respectable tire life. Each generation has gotten progressively larger. No more XL rated tires with treadwear ratings of 120 or 160.

Gen3 gets standard rear disc brakes in the US, something US Gen1 and Gen2 versions didn't have.

Gen2 and Gen3 had LED brake lights. Gen3 will get LED tail lights as well as optional LED headlights. Both Gen2 and Gen3 headlight patterns are much improved over the classic. Somewhere, I have a Classic to Gen2 (w/ HID) headlight comparison photo that I'll try to post tonight. Unforutnately we don't have any Gen3 headlight pattern comparison photos yet, but it's been reported that even the halogen versions are more than adequate.

Gen2 and Gen3 have auto-leveling headlights for HID and LED versions, though halogen versions have to do w/o. This was an issue on our classic Prius w/ the receiver hitch installed and carrying a wheelchair carrier on the rear. W/ the back-end down low, headlights would often glare oncoming traffic. We were reluctant to adjust them as this wasn't the typical usage of the car.

Both gen2 and gen3 have improved handling over the classic - w/ each generation improving over the previous.

Classic still has by far the best rear visibility, but that's due to the body style more than anything else. Gen3 does improve slightly over Gen2 though out the rear.

If your Classic is NAV equipped, you'll find the Gen6 NAV system much improved over the Gen3 in the classic (or Gen4 or Gen5 in the 2nd gen, depending on '04-'05 or '06-'09).

Shifters in Gen2 and Gen3 feel much better than the classic, which was "semi-mechanical" (Park being mechanical - everything else being a switch position). Gen3's shifter position is more conventional vs. Gen2, but I don't have a problem w/ either.

Having steering wheel mounted buttons has been highly beneficial in both Gen2 and Gen3. Gen3 adds some display functionality to the wheel (as well as primary control for other optional features), but you lose a tiny bit of climate control functionality as a trade-off. Touch tracer is really cool, but once I learn the feel, it may be more gimmicky than anything else.

Both Gen2 and Gen3 introduce seatbelt (> 9mph or 15km/h) and reverse beeps. There are ways to disable these though.

I could go on... let me know if you have specific questions. We'll be trading in or selling the 2002 for the 2010 and the Mrs. will inherit (willingly for bigger back seat) the 2004 until a hybrid mini-van comes to market.

5. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thanks, Rick. I couldn't have asked for more.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Better late than never, here's the photo of the classic and 2004 HID's. I would imagine the LED's would look similar, perhaps a tad "cooler" in color.

Taken Oct 7, 2003. My (at the time, now my wife's) 2002, and the Toyota LA region 2004 demo we were driving that night in Laguna Niguel.

[​IMG]

No comparison, but hope the color temp translates for the 2010 LED lights. High beam is halogen.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: