1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garage Door Security

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by arizonamtns, Mar 22, 2015.

1. arizonamtns

arizonamtns Junior Member

If someone breaks into my locked 2005 Prius while parked in my driveway can they use the garage door opener --- embedded in the mirror --- to open my garage ???

Are their program options...?

I have searched the site and all that comes back is how to program the door opener...

Thank you...

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Garage door opener gets power from IG1 relay so they would have to bypass that. But your garage door could be “bypassed” also.

#2 valde3, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could use the remote that came with the opener and bring it in with you.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well I think the above posts mean that the xmitter won't have power if a valid "key" is not present.
    But if you are paranoid, most openers I've seen have a "security" button that allows you to switch off response to all remotes too.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All you have to do is lower the driver's side window, lock the car, and reach in to press the garage door opener button - thus simulating a break-in. You will find the garage door opens up, no problem.

So if that is a concern to you, either park the car in the garage or else disable the garage door opener.

theshark likes this.