1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garage Remote in Sunglass Holder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by arf1410, Mar 5, 2008.

1. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

I have a new package #2, and in-between the map lights is a sunglass holder. In my 1998 Camry, it had a similar sunglass holder, but also came with a garage remote control holder that would snap inplace of of the sunglass holder, and had an external button to press to active the remote inside? Is something similar available for the prius? I'm surprised it didn't some with one, as it is probably a $3 plastic part

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most of us have the Homelink mirror which has the door opener integrated into the rear view mirror.

Tom

3. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The Homelink mirror comes with package 4 and above (at least in 2007 that was the case), so anyone with package 2 would not have it.

My '98 Camry also had the garage remote thing that the OP is describing, although I never used it since I've never actually had a house with a garage. I would try asking the dealer's parts dept if they sell the type of thing you're looking for.

4. arf1410

arf1410 Junior Member

We've got the Homelink package in our Sienna, and I'm probably one of the few that actually uses it as "homelink" rather than just a garage door opener - ie I can use the buttons to control lighting in my garage and house, but the reality is I rarely use those features. We just use it as a simple garage door opener...so it didn't seem worth the extra money for us in our Prius...

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My garage door opener is on my keyring and same size as the Prius key fob. As I don't have a smartkey system my fob is in the hole in the dash and the garage door remote is right at hand. I also have the large remote that came with the lift up door clipped to the front of the plastic surround of the sunglass holder with the steel clip that is meant to hold it on the sunvisor. The clip slides in between it and the roof lining.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct. I was trying to make the point that Toyota didn't miss a feature, but solved the problem another way. Instead of giving you a clever place for a standard garage door opener, Toyota gives you a built-in opener. If you choose not to buy the higher package, then you don't get the opener. In a similar vein, you could complain that Toyota failed to provide a mounting for your Garmin GPS, but why would they? They sell their own built-in NAV system.

Tom

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Plus, the other 2 home link keys can be used for other goodies ... electric entry gates, turn on your coffee pot or lights, tons of other home link goodies ... anything really, as they have home link devices that plug into outlets, so what ever you can plug in, you're good to go. It's good to not be born in covered wagon days.

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why not just use the sunglass holder? My opener has been there since day One. Everyone does not have Homelink.