1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garmin doesn't lie Prius v does.....

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Northernguy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is an encoder. It is still a high low voltage that is being output from a sensor and the high low is being counted. My basic point was that all these sensors come down to volt/amp outputs and they aren't being measured in "mph" or "miles".

2. Richard Bresowar

Richard Bresowar New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm amazed at how many people did not know that Speedometers are typically set to read a higher speed than the car is actually going. This has been true as long as I can remember. The Garmin may not be that accurated either. The only way to get an accurate test is a timed run over a precisely measured route, then do the math.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please give us a cite that shows Prius using an encoder instead of a simple pulse counter. An encoder would be overkill for no good reason.

4. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm using encoder generically. Pulse counter is a better term. My point remains that a sensor is sending a signal that a computer is converting to a unit of measure that people can rationalize.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds more like you are making stuff up as you go.:)

6. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could have been more clear in my first post saying that it doesn't output voltage the same way a thermocouple would send x volts for y degrees in temp. You are also correct in that it doesn't work like a crank sensor where the ECU can tell the crank position by the length and pattern of the high low on the crank plate. It works just like a bike computer (the sensor detects the passing magnet that is mounted on the rim). That is basically the simplest form of an encoder. It isn't a multiple-bit encoder that can tell direction and angle within a single rotation or anything. When your measurement is in miles, you don't have a use for knowing within a few feet.